exhaust mods

flatyre

hey folks just been reading a few older posts where people mentioned having exhaust mods to give their saws a bit more poke. I have a little ms250 running a 16" bar, its fine for firewood and the odd small tree, I really don't need to up its power but read a post where a guy did an exhaust mod on the same saw, so its more a curiosity thing.

hey folks just been reading a few older posts where people mentioned having exhaust mods to give their saws a bit more poke. I have a little ms250 running a 16" bar, its fine for firewood and the odd small tree, I really don't need to up its power but read a post where a guy did an exhaust mod on the same saw, so its more a curiosity thing.

Opening up an exhaust may give 15-25% faster cut speeds. It just depends on how restricted the muffler is. Most modern saws are well restricted so a MM gives good gains but older vintage saws less so as most are not restricted much so not so many gains.

A muffler mod is generally an easy modification to start with but it will make your saw much louder & may need some changes to the carb setting.

Hi

The muffler is restricted on a 250, so the baffle holes can be enlarged by drilling them oversize which I have done on my 250 for a modest improvement.

The baffle can easily be removed altogether, but that makes it a fair bit louder & you will need some spacers to prevent the exhaust box collapsing when you re-fit it. Check your mixture once done.

If you want to be more ambitous, then its a Spud job & has a top reputation.

N

Hi

The muffler is restricted on a 250, so the baffle holes can be enlarged by drilling them oversize which I have done on my 250 for a modest improvement.

The baffle can easily be removed altogether, but that makes it a fair bit louder & you will need some spacers to prevent the exhaust box collapsing when you re-fit it. Check your mixture once done.

If you want to be more ambitous, then its a Spud job & has a top reputation.

N

thanks guys, what do you mean by baffle holes, never had a stihl exhaust apart so not sure what it looks like inside, anything like a husky inside?