When taking dismantling a stem

Lancstree

Just wondering how many people tie off their life line with a running bowline and use a figure 8 instead of the rope loose around the tree with the normal hitch setup? The obvious advantage of the former is that it could make rescue easier, as a groundie could in theory, control the descent of the injured climber once a rescuer had attended to the person.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering how many people tie off their life line with a running bowline and use a figure 8 instead of the rope loose around the tree with the normal hitch setup? The obvious advantage of the former is that it could make rescue easier, as a groundie could in theory, control the descent of the injured climber once a rescuer had attended to the person.

i always have a running bowline and prussic.

Why a prussic? Do you not find it difficult to descend on that as there is more weight on the prussic due to the lack of friction that you would have on a double rope setup?

just cause its easy most the time i climb on a prussic so i just tie it off with running bowline and ive already got prussic tied on rope. it holds if i slip but i wouldnt decend on it.

just cause its easy most the time i climb on a prussic so i just tie it off with running bowline and ive already got prussic tied on rope. it holds if i slip but i wouldnt decend on it.

you would be better off using a prussic tied in a klemheist backed up with a munter hitch on a krab on the single line...or get a fig8

I see. Though the advantage of a figure of 8 is that you could descend on it nice and smooth if you had to get to the ground at a moments notice (e.g. to rescue another climber) and as I said before the groundie could lower you. You just have to make sure that the figure 8 is locked off when working and a rescuer would have to be able to unlock it to get you down.

you would be better off using a prussic tied in a klemheist backed up with a munter hitch on a krab on the single line...or get a fig8

i would be better off to use a figure 8 but to be honest i never really get tall poles to dismantle, so i never need to desend on the line. which is why i just have prussic so if i slip im safe and desending short distances is alright on prussic.

has anyone thought of haveing like a gri gri at base of tree, with the rope going up the pole and through a tied off sling and krab thn onto your harness. so if you did need rescueing all the groundie needs to do is lower you by the belay device at the bottom quick and simple and easy to set up, and easy to move down as you move down the pole.