hand saws

jamesd

I buy mine from here:

Woodwork Projects shop

I have given up buying western saws completely - the Huntley will deal with fully seasoned oak beams and the one which goes in the saw guide cuts perfect tenons.

I bought three saws to do the extension - one heavy, one with the saw guide and one flush cut. After all the timber cutting, including a fully jointed roof, cutting 9off 6"x3" joists at each end and three large beams I have finally changed the blade on the one in the saw guide. The heavy one is getting near the end of its life but unfortunately this model is no longer available and I only have one blade left, so I am getting the most out of it. Still out-performs a standard hardpoint even now.

Alec

How do you rate the saw guide?

was thinking about going for the free angle one does it make much of a difference for getting your cuts square etc? I've got quite a few large 4x4's to cut the ends square and don't want to keep redoing them!

Also would it be any good for helping to cut out tenons?

James

I have the free angle one. It is an exceptional tool - with a sharp blade it is incredibly precise.

That said, I ended up freehanding along marked out lines in the end more often than not, but I am pretty used to it. It's worth marking out with a knife (doesn't have to be a Japanese one) as it does keep it following the line better but with the guide you don't have to do this.

Alec

I have an Irwin Japanese pull saw which has seen me through 5 years of stick making then 3 years of general woodwook and though it's lost a few teeth still works very well, it has inter changeable blades but in the 8 year i have had it i haven't been able to find anyone that stocks them so if anyone knows where they can be found in the UK i would be very grateful to know, cheers for now Pete.