Which Echo machines do you use?

Mark_Skyland

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really comparable IMO, the Stihl is lighter by 400g, more powerful by 1.5kW, is a 90cc saw rather than an 80cc saw and is a more modern saw generally. The downside is that it's rrp £225 more expensive at £1224 againt the Echo at £975 rrp, that isn't a lot but the CS-8002 can be bought for £674 including VAT, I have no idea what the best price would be on the Stihl though.

I don't know about a 24" bar on a 620SX, the max recommended is 20" but at 4.2hp assuming it has sufficient torque I'd guess it could handle it but cutting slower than a lot of folks would like.

Also, what does the 620sx run like on a 24" bar?

I don't know what it would be like but I intend to try it, also want to try it with some skip tooth chain. I recon it would be a really good choking down saw on a 24 with skip chain, light weight but big cut = less stress and strain on the body which for a climber is a very good thing

Funny you should bring this up now. We bought a new 8002 earlier this year but I only used it for the first time yesterday. MS460/461 is my benchmark but I was very impressed with the 8002, a mere 3.5cc more and on paper less powerful. Ours in on a 28" and it will be typical echo years before it runs in and develops more power but it was quite revvy and keen. Built like a battleship :thumbup1:

Nice saw, :thumbup1:

I'd been looking at the CS-8002 but more recently been looking at the Dolmar 7910, on paper the Dolmar looks good but Echo seem to perform in the real world better than the spec would suggest. I'd hate to rush out and buy just now as the Echo is a bit of an older design (nothing wrong with that IMO) and I would think it's due an upgrade, my luck Echo would release a new model as soon as I bought the CS-8002. The Echo does look like a very tough saw.

I'd imagine it was unlikely in the next 1 -2 years, there isn't a big market for large capacity saws and Stihl and Husqvarna have it covered. I think Echo are concentration on updating their existing range of small to mid sized saws.

The CS-8002 is the largest CE approved saw they make and the next and only saw they make that's bigger is the non CE approved CS-1201

I guess they'll hold off on a replacement for the CS-8002 until they need to update to meet future regulations.

Of course there's 2 ways to look at the CS-8002, as a slightly dated design ready to be replaced with a more high tech model

or

A fairly basic reliable old school saw, free from modern technology that'll inevitably be more expensive to fix and more likely to break.

Looking at it that way it makes getting a CS-8002 while it's still available a good move. but of course there's always Dolmar or Echo might just release a CS-780SX :thumbup1:

Edited by R Mac

Just been given an echo gt 222 es strimmer for free!

Any one used these before? Done the usual Google search and it is described as an domestic strimmer with a 21.2 cc engine, so not the biggest or most powerful of tools but for free I'm not complaining!

Dolmar PS-9010 and Echo CS-8002 are both absolutely indestructible; probably the most over-engineered saws in production. Everything about the 8002 is magnesium and the 9010 is similar; you aren't going to break either in a hurry.

I've had both and reckon they are mighty similar in power/weight terms respectively. The 8002 doesn't feel 10cc less than the 9010 but my 9010 was on a non-sprocket nosed bar :thumbdown:

The 8002 has a manual as well as automatic adjustable oiler.

Felling dog on 8002 is a let down - too small and needs an outboard one - not standard.