Swinging pub sign frame...

Mr Lee

I'm having a sign made for my best mate for his home pub and could do with some help.

The guy doing the design and image is almost done so it's soon going to be time to make a frame round it and fit some brackets to hang it. The bracket I've sorted out easy enough. However, what would be best for the frame? Oak? I think i'm going to paint the frame in a black gloss (dulux weathershield) but still undecided on what to make the frame out of.

It needs to last a long time as he can't even paint his gate without covering everything in a 10 foot radius. Readily available as I need to sort, make and paint this before the 5th November so need to source said timber.

Thoughts? Advice always welcomed. Cheers.

for woods that will last 15-25 years you need to look at oak, robinia, cedar of lebanon, yew, genuine mahogany, balau, western red cedar, ekki, sweet chestnut and iroko.

for woods that will last 25years+ then you will want things like teak, opepe, greenheart, jarrah, anjelim vermelho, denya, padauk and curupay.

out of those i would go for either iroko or opepe for good hardwoods but if you can get some cedar of lebanon then get that as you will make the sign nice and light.

most of them you can get from whitmores timber.

I don't know about Opepe but in the case of both Iroko and (I think) Cedar you might be best not to try and paint them but leave lightly oiled with (say) Danish oil. The natural oils in the wood makes it very difficult for most paints to effectively bond,but is the reason they have such longevity.