New on forum and question on stihl 090

Rik Blaauw

@ Tom,

Good to hear there are some stihl collectors in the Netherlands! I would like to give you a call to get some hints and tips.

Concerning the bar. I'm thinking of changing the bar to a 60" gb bar from Alaskan Mill ? Mobile Chainsaw Mills. I would like to have a sprocket nose rather than a solid one. maybe we could make a trade.

I know the logo you are revering to, I didn't notice it when I was looking at the saw last time. If the owner and me can agree on a good price, I will sent you a pm.

you can also contact me if you like on rikblaauw @ hotmail.com

reagrds,

Rik

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am guessing it will be the newer 47" solid nose that I have, and does not have the older design symbol etched in.

Handling a 60" is a bit different to a smaller one, if that's all you are used to using. What is your intended purpose for the saw? Milling I presume of course, I would suggest using a smaller saw first, if your experience is limited with milling with saws?

Hi all,

Just so everyone knows.

Aspen has no solvents so will not clean or dissolve old fuel.

The only way Aspen will improve a fuel system is by washing dirt though and moving it.

The advantage is that Aspen will not leave more or any deposits in your fuel system.

So could be seen as cleaning it in a way.

I bought the saw!! Whoop Whoo.:thumbup::thumbup:

The shop owner and me made an interesting deal. He wants to keep the saw as a display until he closes shop, which could be anywhere from a month up to six months from now.

That's not a deal breaker for me... I bought the saw and I have acces to it when I need it. In the meantime it can just sit there in his shop window.

The saw was in great shape. I turned here over as gently as I could. It had a great amount of compression!

I had a look under the air filter.... it looked brand new inside.

The owner says it has the original bar an first chain still on it. By the looks of it, that could actually be true. there was no rust that I could see, only some oxidation on the muffler.

It looks to be late model.... maybe someone here can give a rough estimate of when it was build.

I'm really looking forward to using it in the future!

I forgot to take good pictures. Here are the ones I did take.

IMG_2418.jpg.0adf4c70c2af6c0ebab90e0566baba5c.jpg

IMG_2414.jpg.5dc7a9bd42e93d4a8feffb6677c9f5fd.jpg

IMG_2416.jpg.683e324b336d21913eed6c46c7989254.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg.39f35e0da31a552df1e924794e1094e6.jpg

@ tom,

I don't think this is the bar chain combo you are looking for is it?

here's a pic of the bar number

3002 000 8076

I'm not too sure what kind of chain is on it at the moment. I don't think it's a 1/2 inch after all. I couldn't find it anywhere on the chain. If it does turn out to be a 1/2 inch chain I will contact you.

kind regards

Rik

IMG_2413.jpg.fa35701050016b5ff351de7ba57887f3.jpg

I bought the saw!! Whoop Whoo.:thumbup::thumbup:

The shop owner and me made an interesting deal. He wants to keep the saw as a display until he closes shop, which could be anywhere from a month up to six months from now.

That's not a deal breaker for me... I bought the saw and I have acces to it when I need it. In the meantime it can just sit there in his shop window.

The saw was in great shape. I turned here over as gently as I could. It had a great amount of compression!

I had a look under the air filter.... it looked brand new inside.

The owner says it has the original bar an first chain still on it. By the looks of it, that could actually be true. there was no rust that I could see, only some oxidation on the muffler.

It looks to be late model.... maybe someone here can give a rough estimate of when it was build.

I'm really looking forward to using it in the future!

I forgot to take good pictures. Here are the ones I did take.

Extremely interesting, it's a late 80's, if not later model! New type AV, as I retrofitted to mine. Metal tags suggest pre '96. This means that all but the top cover is exactly replaceable. I can't remember when they were discontinued, but you have one of the last ones sold in Europe!

Just as a pointer, always use the decompression button, as starter rings quickly become expensive!

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay?

That's an interesting bar. It looks like the 150cm (59") bar which is still an option with a sprocket nose, but in your case as a hard nosed bar.

Being hard nosed, the bar does not have a pitch, but that looks like standard .404" cross-cut chain.

The 090 is so slow revving that you will not have as many problems with a hard nosed bar as you would with a more modern saw such as the MS880, but it will still heat up. I have run the 070 and 076 on hard nosed bars previously for milling and still have one as my back-up. Changing it to a roller-nosed bar would be a good option though, as it will take less power from the saw and therefore mill faster.

You will need to file down the depth gauges on the chain quite a bit more than standard to get the most out of this saw.

Alec