rob39

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm near Girvan.

Plan was buy seasoned wood this year then stack/dry unseasoned for the

coming years. But unsure how much wood would you use in a year??

I have an enclosed stove and some space

Are you using the timber for total, partial or just background heating??

We heat a large 4 bed house with nothing but wood - good insulation, secondary glazing etc and use about 20m3 per year

From there on down your needs should be less than that.

We can supply any amount of firewood you need seasoned or unseasoned, soft or hardwood.

Cheers

mac

Probably partial heating. The cottage were buying has electric heating (has 2 rooms downstairs 2 upstairs. small extension with bathroom kitchen in it).

Going for Oil for primary heat/hot water but putting multi fuel burner in, in the hope we can ease off the oil and heat the cottage via the stove. leave a door open so it permeates through the house and up through the floor boards (wishful thinking)

Probably partial heating. The cottage were buying has electric heating (has 2 rooms downstairs 2 upstairs. small extension with bathroom kitchen in it).

Going for Oil for primary heat/hot water but putting multi fuel burner in, in the hope we can ease off the oil and heat the cottage via the stove. leave a door open so it permeates through the house and up through the floor boards (wishful thinking)

If you wish to use solid fuel to economize on oil then you really need to connect it into the same transfer mechanism as the oil heating. Attempting to economize on oil by running a Roomheater with the (room) doors open is unlikely to be satisfactory, tends to result in a living room you cannot live in and bedrooms which are a bit chilly.

Frankly at today's oil prices it is unlikely to be economic either.

Your description sounds more like a lounge fire which will be lit evenings and weekends, and nothing wrong with that, 3-4 cube should last a long time.

Cheers

Mac

If I was using 18m3 with a 9kw stove in a well insulated house I would question how efficient the stove is or what moisture content your attempting to burn. Seems rather a lot.

Two years air dried beech, woodwarm stove, well insulated home but here's the biggest factor....

A missus who loves the flames and is catlike in her need for warmth! She's an Ironman racer without an ounce of fat. I think she thinks the logs are free so why not have it lit......... It's going full tilt as we speak. I despair some days.

Thermometer is 7m from the stove and reading 24c and I'm working outside in a t shirt.

If you wish to use solid fuel to economize on oil then you really need to connect it into the same transfer mechanism as the oil heating. Attempting to economize on oil by running a Roomheater with the (room) doors open is unlikely to be satisfactory, tends to result in a living room you cannot live in and bedrooms which are a bit chilly.

Frankly at today's oil prices it is unlikely to be economic either.

Your description sounds more like a lounge fire which will be lit evenings and weekends, and nothing wrong with that, 3-4 cube should last a long time.

Cheers

Mac

I think your spot on their, never used a stove before so its a learning curve. Thinking a 4-5kw stove, living room is 3.5m x 5.9m x 2.7 high with the second room very similar size. Bedrooms 3.5m x 4.5m

Two years air dried beech, woodwarm stove, well insulated home but here's the biggest factor....

A missus who loves the flames and is catlike in her need for warmth! She's an Ironman racer without an ounce of fat. I think she thinks the logs are free so why not have it lit......... It's going full tilt as we speak. I despair some days.

Thermometer is 7m from the stove and reading 24c and I'm working outside in a t shirt.

can you not trade in for a more economic model. :biggrin:

I think your spot on their, never used a stove before so its a learning curve. Thinking a 4-5kw stove, living room is 3.5m x 5.9m x 2.7 high with the second room very similar size. Bedrooms 3.5m x 4.5m

A 4-5Kw roomheater should give you a nice feature in the living room and if you fit (as you should) thermostatic valves to the radiators on your oil system it will allow you to throttle down the living room radiator(s) as necessary to let the stove do a bit and ease off on the oil.

It will do the square root of nowt for the rest of the house unless you provide some effective form of heat transfer - otherwise known as radiators and a pump. You can couple a boiler stove into your oil central heating system but the probability is you will need to argue with your pumber to get him convinced to do it and there are safety considerations - the design has to be correct and fail safe. this is covered on other threads on this forum.

I personally would fit a bigger stove of about 8kw and if you do connect to the CH then 14kW - but you will not, imo, save any money unless you can get free timber, RHI or the price of oil rises considerably (or some combination of these factors)

There is nothing wrong with just having a roomheater in the living room - important in my experience to get any draughts sorted out, make sure the chimney installation is good and make provision for external access into the chimney.

Enjoy

mac