Arb Assoc'-

Bundle 2

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or Prof Dip..... which is only 1 year, part time.

(And the plan is to do that along side the second year of the FdSc) :thumbup:

Speaking as a current Prof Dip student (right term?) with 4/6 exams under my belt, good luck trying to do it in one year! Exams are held in June and December with a management day in September.

You must pass all exams before the management day so that means if you start the one year course in January (with Tree Life for example) you'll need to sit and pass all six exams in June before you've even tackled the subjects on the course!!!

Having started the PD last Jan (2008), I'm looking at completeing the management day in sep 2010. So two years either way! :D

Edited by Amelanchier

I went down the fdsc last year NOT @ myerscough, I cannot go back to school & be treated like a teen ,hang your coat up but bags under the table ,

I was allowed to APl upto 50% of the content ,but realistically had much more that I should have been able to

Personal effectiveness Jesus !" wtf I run my own company for Christ’s sake if that isn’t effectiveness in motion then I don’t know what is

I did & still part of me wants to have a formal higher qual , however the pressures of work etc

then a friend said why do you need a degree ?

So I looked at the aims of the course to set the candidate on route for a middle management role within arboriculture.

Oh I already do that . So sod it,

I am not being treated that way & promptly walked out & didn’t go back !! Maybe I was rash , however I know of folks with level 5 & 6 quals That would struggle to work out what the hell to do in the real world

Quals are great however they aren’t the be all & end all As Andy said after nearly twenty years in the industry why do they want to flog a willing horse. not exactly grandfather rights but due credit for the experience & achievements thus far ..

Credit where credit is due

I didnt have an issue with the work, Even the duplication it was being treated as though we were all idiots that offended me

Hang on, why do you think running a company means you shouldn't have to take half the course?

I'm glad people can't just waltz into further education on the back of their age. Its pure meritocracy (for those with the cash).

And if you think that you'll be treated better by PD examiners in terms of patronising comments - think again!

The AA don't decide these levels Tim, they're designated by the National Qualification Framework, an independent body/quango.

My question was however.."what is the difference between a National Certificate and a National Certificate..."

Honestly, the whole thing turns into some kinda elaborate "hoop jumping" exercise....I wanted to work as an arborist:cursing:

edit: I thought you had finished with the Prof Dip?

Hang on, why do you think running a company means you shouldn't have to take half the course?

I'm glad people can't just waltz into further education on the back of their age. Its pure meritocracy (for those with the cash).

And if you think that you'll be treated better by PD examiners in terms of patronising comments - think again!

No I dont think that however I dont just 'run a company'

"the proof of the pudding is in the eating" as my comment re personall effectiveness

& if you read on I also stated that I didnt have an issue with the work

I did & do have an issue with the abiliity to realise that as Fe students we arent daft kids & should be treated accordingly

re your term it Waltz through

the commercial arb world Is NOT & never has been a waltz..

I proved my knowledge & experience and do so on a daily basis because thats what happens in the real world

So thanks for your comments.

Edited by Yorkshireman

:thumbup:

No I dont think that however I dont just 'run a company'

"the proof of the pudding is in the eating" as my comment re personall effectiveness

& if you read on I also stated that I didnt have an issue with the work

I did & do have an issue with the abiliity to realise that as Fe students we arent daft kids & should be treated accordingly

re your term it Waltz through

the commercial arb world Is NOT & never has been a waltz..

I proved my knowledge & experience and do so on a daily basis because thats what happens in the real world

So thanks for your comments.

:thumbup: Sadly I have to go to work but i'll add to this later !

Speaking as a current Prof Dip student (right term?) with 4/6 exams under my belt, good luck trying to do it in one year! Exams are held in June and December with a management day in September.

You must pass all exams before the management day so that means if you start the one year course in January (with Tree Life for example) you'll need to sit and pass all six exams in June before you've even tackled the subjects on the course!!!

Having started the PD last Jan (2008), I'm looking at completeing the management day in sep 2010. So two years either way! :D

Yeah, but c'mon Tony, there's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many other variables in the equation.... allocated and available personal study time dependant on individuals work/home life, would be the main key factor in that, surely???

Even the Myerscough bumf on the Bsc top up, states that it's 2 year pt/time, but 'specific duration will depend upon individual progress'!!!

So?? It's 2 years?? It may take longer, but it may also be as equally shorter!!

What ever happened to "looking on the bright side"?? :001_smile:

Yeah, but c'mon Tony, there's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many other variables in the equation.... allocated and available personal study time dependant on individuals work/home life, would be the main key factor in that, surely???

Even the Myerscough bumf on the Bsc top up, states that it's 2 year pt/time, but 'specific duration will depend upon individual progress'!!!

So?? It's 2 years?? It may take longer, but it may also be as equally shorter!!

What ever happened to "looking on the bright side"?? :001_smile:

I love the bright side! :D

You're quite right about the variables - Its a slog, and for those who do more commercial/private sector work with families, it must be even harder.