Oak Sawlog Value

We will have an arctic load of fairly low quality oak sawlogs.

The trees are mainly 60-80cm diameter over bark and 3m plus in length. Not all are unbranched although there are a couple of nice straight clean stems amongst them.

We have been offered £45 a m3 roadside by a cabinet maker for them which is the same money we have been getting for firewood.

I'm not sure what best to do with these.

Should I take the cabinet makers offer?

Should I sell as a whole parcel and hope to get a bit more?

Or should I split up the logs into parcels depending on the quality and sell this way?

I will try and post photos later today.

£45 is taking the piss. Even fairly poor quality oak up here will make £100. Very low quality 'fencing' grade will make at least £60.

Post some pictures and I'll try to give you a rough value.

Just paid £45 a tonne for oak and mixed hard woods amongst them was some decent oak we have separated and won't put through the processor, the seller was debating putting a parcel together of decent timber together but I mentioned it on here and no one seemed interested so like most things it's a buyers market @£45 a tonne its reasonable if your buying the lot ! Not separated I recon , ImageUploadedByArbtalk1442605947.344894.jpg.9f9515de6e389597477cb689a9cc6a72.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
£45 is taking the piss. Even fairly poor quality oak up here will make £100. Very low quality 'fencing' grade will make at least £60.

Post some pictures and I'll try to give you a rough value.

Where you are maybe, but OP is in dorset? and poor quality oak would get £35 here in devon. £100 is totally off the scale.

Where you are maybe, but OP is in dorset? and poor quality oak would get £35 here in devon. £100 is totally off the scale.

That is perhaps why it's easier to be a sawmill up here than in most other parts of the country. AJ Scotts are charging £135 a tonne delivered in for crappy quality. Good quality is double that, top quality triple. At £45 a tonne, I'd haul it up here for that. No estate/contractor is going to make money at £45 a tonne - what's the point in felling it?

That is perhaps why it's easier to be a sawmill up here than in most other parts of the country. AJ Scotts are charging £135 a tonne delivered in for crappy quality. Good quality is double that, top quality triple. At £45 a tonne, I'd haul it up here for that. No estate/contractor is going to make money at £45 a tonne - what's the point in felling it?

Based on the pictures above i reckon that it would cost me about £18-22 per cube to fell and extract, so selling at £45 is going to make reasonable money, even if it is low grade saw logs.