native oaks - id

Paul Cleaver

Assuming it isn't built on in the mean-time:biggrin:

So Paul, the comparison you're alluding too is, I assume, the gall population. I.e, a repeat of this year.

Just realising I know little (nothing) about the wasp habits, do they re-infect the same trees year after year etc. Something else to research up on:confused1:

Yes Gary the gall population - will it continue to be high next year?

Im no ecologist but I would expect the wasps to re infest year after year providing its has another Turkey Oak close enough and other factors are favourable.

It would be interesting to compare the density of infestation on any neighbouring oaks.

If neighbouring Oaks have a moderate infestation then this tree may have less vitality possibly due to other factors.

If neighbouring Oaks have a similar infestation then I would speculate the reason for this would be favourable seasonal conditions and low P & D or predators.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I'd never posted.............

I do know remember that there are Q. cerris within several hundred yards, now I think about it. I don't know how many oaks, of any species are on the site.

Other considerations that may make any observation and conclusion inaccurate and inconclusive is that the site is a brownfield site after a school was demolished. Grade levels were changed, no RPAs were observed and a general decline in a number of species is now becoming apparent (thank you LPA for your consideration of BS5837 - NOT!)

I'll have a better study one evening this week, my wife gets a bit bored when we go out and in arbor mode though:biggrin:

I wish I'd never posted.............

I do know remember that there are Q. cerris within several hundred yards, now I think about it. I don't know how many oaks, of any species are on the site.

Other considerations that may make any observation and conclusion inaccurate and inconclusive is that the site is a brownfield site after a school was demolished. Grade levels were changed, no RPAs were observed and a general decline in a number of species is now becoming apparent (thank you LPA for your consideration of BS5837 - NOT!)

I'll have a better study one evening this week, my wife gets a bit bored when we go out and in arbor mode though:biggrin:

:thumbup1:

common lime = epicormic hell

I heard once that so many Limes were planted in towns and cities for this reason. That the mass of epicormic was perfect grazing for all the horses and livestock coming into markets.

Say hello to my old mucker Will. :001_smile:

I heard once that so many Limes were planted in towns and cities for this reason. That the mass of epicormic was perfect grazing for all the horses and livestock coming into markets.

Oh come on! Really? What next? Game-keeper's gallows to scare off the vermin ?

Say you've got two dozen limes down each side of the street that leads from the old high road to the market square, that's just enough foliage to feed four dozen not very hungry horses on one occasion early in the season - except that they wouldn't; cos the sheep would have nibbled off all the shoots as they came in for last months market - and they didn't get very fat on it either.

So four dozen horses and four dozen sheep got fed rather badly on two occasions out of the hundreds and hundreds of animals coming in to market every month of the year.

I say that's v.poor use of resources

I say 'myth busted'

I say 'citation needed'

I say 'happy days':biggrin:

<pushes over virtual pint> cheers :laugh1:

Oh come on! Really? What next? Game-keeper's gallows to scare off the vermin ?

Say you've got two dozen limes down each side of the street that leads from the old high road to the market square, that's just enough foliage to feed four dozen not very hungry horses on one occasion early in the season - except that they wouldn't; cos the sheep would have nibbled off all the shoots as they came in for last months market - and they didn't get very fat on it either.

So four dozen horses and four dozen sheep got fed rather badly on two occasions out of the hundreds and hundreds of animals coming in to market every month of the year.

I say that's v.poor use of resources

I say 'myth busted'

I say 'citation needed'

I say 'happy days':biggrin:

<pushes over virtual pint> cheers :laugh1:

Fair do's. Only said I heard. Didn't even think about it to be honest.:001_smile: