Blue Spruce fell or not

GreenGui

Question

Hope some of you better qualified than me people can help. I have put this on this section as I am more of a tree planter and coppicer and would appreciate some advice.

We have this blue spruce planted (by previous owner) right next to a large weeping willow. The willow has clearly grown faster than the spruce and therefore encroached on its space causing dieback on the spruce and a lean partly due to the willow but I suspect also due to the prevailing wind. To make matters worse the spruce is close to the house, no worries re the roots but if it went over it would likely damage our house. I need to perform a light reduction on the willow this winter as it is simply too big an I am worried it will leave the spruce at the mercy of the wind and our winter storms. What do you think? Remove it now or can I wire it in some way to the willow giving it some additional support? I really like the tree and would prefer to keep it if possible.

Thanks

DSCN4132.jpg.e4b28bf6f87bc271abe575e8fdf29ab2.jpg

DSCN4131.jpg.d16fa10b8779ff2b6427bdb2ea70e1c7.jpg

DSCN4130.jpg.df7cf08e0760717ee8b5d26f87ad4fb1.jpg

5 answers to this question

looks like its in the wrong place (the spruce that is), fell it and plant a replacement elsewhere.

or if you cant bear to remove it now, plant a replacement anyway - then when you finally decide to (cause its likely) the replacement will be established and it wont be such a knock to loose it.