isa certification

shabz1978

Yes, that's all the organisations you seem to hate working together to make sure EL insurance prices didn't put you out of business.

Arboricultural Association

Forestry Contracting Association

Institute of Chartered Foresters

ISA

Lantra

NTPC

National Association of Tree Officers

Tree Care Industries Association

Health and Safety Executive

You seem to take my legitimate points too much to Heart, I dont 'hate' anyone, As that is a very strong emotion, I do hoever have issues with some organisations & the way they conduct themselves, attempting to belittle others, whom for what ever reason's choose not to be indoctrinated

you seem very defencesive over the AA are you perhaps a commitee member ?

As I have said b4, I fully support Anyone who wishes to improve the good practise at the heart of our industry, just not when its done poorly

or at the expense of others less fortunate.

Its easy to wave a corporate pen over a cheque book. But how do the rank & file feel about the autocratic manner in which they are treated (Most of them that I speak too are hostile)

the sentiment seems to be 'Who died & made them god' ,deciding what we should & shouldnt do without consultation.

The net result is a divide the indudtry into those co's large enough that they can afford & play ball & the poor sods struggling to keep their heads above water, who quite frankly dont tick all the boxes. as they may not have the infrastructure or finance in place.that the targets set are unacheiveable, & often simply daft

you list a number of self appointed bodys who 'Quote 'working together to make sure EL insurance prices didn't put you out of business ' thats a very Condescending statement,

Who asked them ?

I have never made an insurance claim, Have never had any team member injured, I have even asked the health & safety exec to pop in . & they did(Damn nice people),

As for the future, quite why dont they speak to those whom they proport to represent

What is the current % of the industry in numbers of companys that they have on board

Then ask Why !!! Hostility & ridicule

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll reply to a few your points...

No I'm not a committee member. Nor a member of staff or any such thing. I am an AA member and I do make an effort to engage with the AA. The AA is an organisation of members. What happens is what members make happen. If you do not join and engage then what you want will not happen.

Who died and made them God? In the end, if you don't engage, you did :)

Can you quote me one instance where the AA have dictated what you should and shouldn't do without consultation? I just don't think they have that power.

As for EL insurance, I'm sorry if you felt condescended, but it would appear from your response that you were unaware of the crisis that faced the industry at the time, which is interesting in itself. Let me fill you in.

Four or five years ago (or was it longer - time flies) the cost of insurance started to rise astronomically. Partly this was a rise across the board that was the aftermath of 9/11 and underwriters needing to recover the huge losses they made there. But rises were greater for arbs, and particularly for EL insurance. This was because the whole industry was being tarred with the brush used for the dodgier end of the industry, which has a poor safety record. Insurers did not discriminate. No matter what your safety record, if you were an arborist you were a high risk.

Things got to the point where it looked as if before long the only arborist who would be able to continue trading were the really big companies, the Glendales etc, and really dodgy ones who don't bother with such things as insurance.

A lot of hard work went in to resolving this. Had it not you would probably not be trading as an arborist now. Not legally with EL in place at any rate. And who asked these organisations to work on this? The members did. This was an issue that threatened the whole industry - the members of the industry bodies - and the members wanted action.

If you don't like working in organisations, that fair enough, don't do it. But accept that there are implications to shunning the AA/ISA/TCIA or whatever. Make your choice, take the implications and stop moaning.

. I am an AA member and I do make an effort to engage with the AA.

Not a huge surprise '

. If you do not join and engage then what you want will not happen.

Really Thats why we all run round like headless sheep

condescending Again !

Can you quote me one instance where the AA have dictated what you should and shouldn't do without consultation? I just don't think they have that power.

By speaking as 'the voice' of uk Arb in policy meetings for some yes but certainly not all

As for EL insurance, I'm sorry if you felt condescended, but it would appear from your response that you were unaware of the crisis that faced the industry at the time, which is interesting in itself. Let me fill you in.

condescending Again !!

Things got to the point where it looked as if before long the only arborist who would be able to continue trading were the really big companies, the Glendales etc, and really dodgy ones who don't bother with such things as insurance.

Thats was my point

A lot of hard work went in to resolving this. Had it not you would probably not be trading as an arborist now.

condescending Again !!

Not legally with EL in place at any rate.

Arrogant, You dont know me my company or financial background

And who asked these organisations to work on this? The members did. This was an issue that threatened the whole industry - the members of the industry bodies - and the members wanted action.

oooou !

If you don't like working in organisations, that fair enough, don't do it. But accept that there are implications to shunning the AA/ISA/TCIA or whatever. Make your choice, take the implications and stop moaning

I work with organisations & love it !!

implications being ? moaning i think not, i am free to express my thoughts the same as you !! so stop reading them if you dont like them !.

thanks for the comments guys, the way that the isa cert works was what attracted me to it. i love learning and having to gain extra credit over the three years would be a great excuse to do more short courses etc. i can see that it could be a pain if you cannot afford the time though. personally i think there is too much economical pressure put onto contractors, you just can't seriously charge enough money to justify the h&s, insurance, fuel and training costs.

• 4 months later...

If you still want some help on what the test is all about and how to study for it, my advice is to get the study guide, and read it and try to answer the questions at the end of the chapters. This is a good starting point. You'll also want to read books like Arboriculture :Integrated Management of Trees, Shrubs, and Vines,, Plant Health Care for Woody Ornamentals, and whatever safety and standards you use over in the UK, you will also want to know very well. The exams differ from chapter to chapter, especially the tree ID. Many people make the mistake of only reading the ISA study guide.From what I understand, the questions do not come directly from that book, they come from employers polled by the ISA, and a review board edits and revises the questions. So make sure you read all the resources you feel will help you.

No I'm not a committee member. Nor a member of staff or any such thing. I am an AA member and I do make an effort to engage with the AA. The AA is an organisation of members. What happens is what members make happen. If you do not join and engage then what you want will not happen.

Four or five years ago (or was it longer - time flies) the cost of insurance started to rise astronomically. Partly this was a rise across the board that was the aftermath of 9/11 and underwriters needing to recover the huge losses they made there. But rises were greater for arbs, and particularly for EL insurance. This was because the whole industry was being tarred with the brush used for the dodgier end of the industry, which has a poor safety record. Insurers did not discriminate. No matter what your safety record, if you were an arborist you were a high risk.

A lot of hard work went in to resolving this. Had it not you would probably not be trading as an arborist now. Not legally with EL in place at any rate. And who asked these organisations to work on this? The members did. This was an issue that threatened the whole industry - the members of the industry bodies - and the members wanted action.

If you don't like working in organisations, that fair enough, don't do it. But accept that there are implications to shunning the AA/ISA/TCIA or whatever. Make your choice, take the implications and stop moaning.

What a load of crap,few insurers,prices rise,other insurers see there is money to be made so move in,more insurers,prices fall!

oh whats that called...............oh yes market forces in a free market economy!