Tanaka 210SB not reving

Tim Tindall

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Barrie is a bad man:lol::001_tongue:

He has probably destroyed the carb by now.....there, that fixed it real good:001_huh:

Steady on Steve, not my fault if he dug out the check valve, I thought I explained the main jet quite well.

Must remember to post photos with advice.

Pictures speak a thousand words.

The main jet is the round one, the check valve is the one that looks like a pozidrive.

The main jet is easily eased out of the throttle body with a sharp implement. Ensure that the little hole through the middle is clear. Rod it with a thin wire.

The check valve can be checked by cutting a piece of small fuel hose nice and square and holding it over the valve, sealing it against the metering body. Then blow and suck, it should only allow air one way.

P1000021.jpg.cdceb81c884eb54c1eb0928eb90deb0d.jpg

P1000022.jpg.739213e427ae6df260a20cd6995334f1.jpg

P1000023.jpg.7c33be5234c74aa70d39e6dcf089a8a4.jpg

Hi to you two helpful people.

On closer inspection of that little rubber thing I realized it was a non return diaphram, so left it alone.

All holes / jets are clear. I will give the needle adjustment a try. I would expect that anti-clockwise will pull the needle up ? I don't understand why it would have gone out of calibration though.

The needle goes into a small tube that looks like it is made from plastic ? That would be likely to wear so would be letting too much fuel in ? But the plug doesn't seem wet...

Regards,

Tim.

Hi Tim, I don't really see how it has gone out of adjustment, those carbs simply do not do that.

You could try adjusting the needle just a little, probably counter clockwise to richen the mix just a bit, but I doubt its the issue. You will have to dig out the little white plastic bung over the screw head in the centre of the barrel first.

But, is the engine dying as soon as you try to rev, or is it trying to rev but struggling to achieve full revs? If the latter, then did you check the exhaust port in the pot when you had the exhaust off? It is quite common for the port to fill right up with carbon.

Pictures speak a thousand words.

The main jet is the round one, the check valve is the one that looks like a pozidrive.

The main jet is easily eased out of the throttle body with a sharp implement. Ensure that the little hole through the middle is clear. Rod it with a thin wire.

The check valve can be checked by cutting a piece of small fuel hose nice and square and holding it over the valve, sealing it against the metering body. Then blow and suck, it should only allow air one way.

[ATTACH]187923[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]187924[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]187925[/ATTACH]

Is it fun giving carbs blow jobs:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thought it was only me, seems I may be normal after all:blushing::001_smile:

Hi.

The little plastic plug at the top of the throttle shaft is not plastic, it's a brass one that looks like it is knurled then pressed in. Like you I cannot see the needle would come out of adjustment. When I took the muffler off, as I said there was no arrestor gauze and the outlet port looked pretty clean, nothing obvious. My mechanical skills are quite good as I've had british motorbikes from been a small boy and have rebuilt Bultaco's and a 1957 Sunbeam S8. Also a full restoration job on a 1980 BMW R100RS. So have had good experience on Amal and Bing carbs + some Japanese bike carbs. That's why I am totally stumped with this little devil of a carb. It does sound like fuel starvation, ticks over fine and starts to rev and blades move but then won't rev anymore and stops if I pull the switch for more revs.