large branch split in ash.. ideas why?

Rik

hey guys, sorry about the quality of the pics, but what they are trying to show is a split along the length of a branch on an ash.

the branch is about 5" in diameter and the split goes right through and you can see out the other side. split is about 5' long. (typically overhanging a garden studio..:glare:) the rest of the tree appears to be healthy with a lot of vigour and no other signs of this on any of the other branches. however the last picture shows a large old pruning stub. this is at the base of the tree and is hollow (could see a fair way into it with a torch) could this be part of/ cause of the problem?

i havent come across this before and was wondering if any of you more experienced guys have? or had any thoughts as to what could be causing it and whether i should just remove the single affected branch or is there an underlying problem i should have in my mind that could mean more drastic work?

apologies for the possible waffling and many thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas

Cheers guys :thumbup:

Rik.

DSCF4997.jpg.07ec70ba191db8e6aa066e7635d84251.jpg

DSCF4999.jpg.fc9367894f94072f0bc5cfce9410267a.jpg

DSCF4998.jpg.c84d26a9abe4bf30603c12f2b7832ccc.jpg

DSCF4996.jpg.32c24df96914479848f3418935d8d8ec.jpg

Youngish looking branch, probably just growing quicker than it can strengthen itself, i.e. its too heavy!! Is it reachign out of the crown for light?

Possible increased rate of growth due to the old stem removed (last photo).

Just cut it off and look out for others while up there.

i am with rupe, it is like trying to break a piece of wood with your knee, the botton smaller branch will have a knuckle in there that the branch is levering on, the limb will probably twist and hang before breaking clean off, you could reduce the branch for weight but the damage is done.

sweet, never thought about it outgrowing itself but does make complete sense now you say it, like you say shrek, the damage is done so i think i'll take it back to the trunk as its not gonna make a huge difference to the crown and then have a good looky for anything else while im up there.. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...