Zeppelin bend

jarborist

Question for those of you who have used this a lot - what are its pros and cons ? I have been using a bit but am unsure as to its limits.

Does it work on ropes of different diameter, does it tighten when really strained - e.g. pulling with a vehicle ?

many thanks in advance.

I've used the Zeppelin for life support in the past using two 13mm climbing lines, was part of an SRT system, was great for that application. Comes undone very easily after loading when you break the spines in a similar way to a Butterfly.

I've used it on ropes of similar diameter but not vastly different and it worked fine, even used it with a 13mm single braid and 1/2" 3 strand polyprop but not for heavy rigging or pulling etc.

Used it with big double braid bull ropes (16mm/20mm) for a static pull (not excessively heavy loads) and it was fine, comes undone no problem after loading.

It's like all knots, it has to be tied, dressed and set properly or it's not going to function properly.

It's a knot you should choose over a sheet bend for tying two ropes together, the sheet bend is dangerous when used on heavy loads especially if the ropes are of different construction/materials but a similar diameter.

should look like this when set properly

stock-photo-zeppelin-bend-rosendahl-bend-173237255.jpg

Edited by scotspine1

I've used the Zeppelin for life support in the past using two 13mm climbing lines, was part of an SRT system, was great for that application. Comes undone very easily after loading when you break the spines in a similar way to a Butterfly.

I've used it on ropes of similar diameter but not vastly different and it worked fine, even used it with a 13mm single braid and 1/2" 3 strand polyprop but not for heavy rigging or pulling etc.

Used it with big double braid bull ropes (16mm/20mm) for a static pull (not excessively heavy loads) and it was fine, comes undone no problem after loading.

It's like all knots, it has to be tied, dressed and set properly or it's not going to function properly.

It's a knot you should choose over a sheet bend for tying two ropes together, the sheet bend is dangerous when used on heavy loads especially if the ropes are of different construction/materials but a similar diameter.

should look like this when set properly

stock-photo-zeppelin-bend-rosendahl-bend-173237255.jpg

The sheet bend should only be used for ropes of a different diameter. The thinner rope grips the thicker one. You could use a stopper knot if you find it slipping. I might well be trying to tell you how to suck eggs. If so I apologise

Thanks Gand and Scots pine. Similar experiences to me to date which is good !

Still wondering how it works on different diameters - looks like it should be ok, and given its history tying zeppelins down I always think it should definitely be ok under heavy load, but as yet I have still gone to what I know in these situations, e.g. bowlines + sticks ! Messy but I know they work. As you say Scots pine , zep for fixing srt lines seems a good one.

• 5 months later...