LOLER and the LAW

benedmonds

Do I need my kit inspected by an external LOLER tester or can I do it myself?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Do I need my kit inspected by an external LOLER tester or can I do it myself?

• EXTERNAL LOLER REQUIRED
    • DO IT YOURSELF IF YOU HAVE DONE LOLER TICKET
    • DO IT YOURSELF IF YOU BELIEVE COMPETENT
    • DON'T BOTHER...:)

We check our own kit and then have it independently examined 6 monthly for climbing and 12 monthly for rigging.

In the grand scheme of things its not expensive and keeps LA's and others who run approved contractor systems etc happy.

Also, my staff know that I am looking after them.:icon14:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi all an interesting thread hear

I train LOLER inspectors and have spent many hours with my arm deep in the bags of many tree folk LOL

lets deal with the first question, the answer to can you test your own kit, the answer is a residing YES, but......

the HSE are keen for the periodic detailed inspections to take place, and statistics bear out the affectivness of this in reducuing reported incidents of kit failure. the phrase fear of favour has been used a bit, a few years back the arb assosiation sort clarity from the hse over the in house inspector, in short, for employed staff ensure their contract states that they act with impunity from the boss, and also have a staff agreed appeals process so if the in house guy/gal fails something and the staff disagree you can sent the stuff to your appointed appeals person and stick to their decision. for further clarity periodically have an external person in to look at your gear. easy.

what is a competent person well the ACOP say they must have theoretical knowlege of the kit being looked at, practical experiance of its use etc, confidence and competence with the kit act without fear of favour and be able to down rate were appropriate

well thats all as clear as mud if you want to know moor go on a cource

on a final not i never cease to be amased at the gear people keep in there bags or miss match and think will be ok, the problem is not in the kits genneral use but at the time when you need it the most in a fall when it would be most likley to fail

hope that helps