factory recall on transit pistons

GardenKit

Its certainly worth a phonecall to double check to your dealer.

If its a fuel mapping issue chances are that landrover will be using a different ecu and mapping system. HOWEVER that doesn't mean to say that the oil pump side of the recall wont include your vehicle.

Thanks, will call them tomorrow.

Did it feel any different to drive Barry? I always found mine a little sluggish down low but responded better once on the move.

As we spoke about the new transit I have certainly responds better low down but maybe a bit less top end power. I put it down to maybe a smaller turbo on the newer version but maybe the fuelling mapping being out could cause a similar issue,

Yeah it was manic down there the week before but they then decide to add more roadworks on the swingbridge just to make matters worse.

On Fridays now the kids are off Fridays are definetly the day to stay away from there at the moment.

To be quite honest it does not feel any different now Martin. It was just a little nosy to begin with and a bit erratic, but that soon settled.

I do not fully understand these engine management things, but the service manager said it may be different at first, but added that it would improve as it got used to how I drive.

All a bit beyond me.

Im assuming by what you say Barry that they've changed the fuelling to basically fire slightly earlier which would mean more fuel in the pot before firing obviously to avoid the hotspots.

The problem with doing that is when the engine is cold you can get a form of diesel knock which is what I reckon your referring to (slightly noisy when cold) due to lack of heat of the engine to help combustion.

They do include a learning curve learning which the ecu learns the way you drive and slightly adapts to it but that only happens for a few hours of driving after an ecu reset and suchlike before it closes down the function and fully sets. This is normally a petrol engine feature tho not so much diesel related. It maybe due to this feature the erraticness of the engine will disappear. Normally the feature only works in a closed loop procedure before the engine reaches normal working temps when it shuts down. (The equivalent of when a lambda sensor shuts down when working temp is reached on a petrol engine)

I guess its comparable to the learning of the 550/560xp autotune saws.

Im sure you understand most of it, your wiser than you let on ;-)