261 replacement?

Hotrod81

Nope the 550 is listed at 4.9 kg the 261 at 5.2kg and the 560 at 5.7 kg

The real world weights I have seen(actual weighted powerheads VS factory reported weights) show the MS261 closer to 5.3-5.4 KG's.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That information would be far more helpful if you weighed an empty PHO.

Here is my current gallery. It needs to be updated to include images of a few of the newer saws. A contributor to this effort, Neal Murphy of Georgia informed me an MS261 he repaired recently weighed in at 11lbs 14 ounces US. Unfortunately, he lost the image before he could send it to me.

Unofficial Chainsaw Weight Gallery Photo Gallery by WYK at pbase.com

I weighed the ms261 I repaired:

[ATTACH]186671[/ATTACH]

Which is with 16" bar and chain and half a tank fuel and oil. It is nigh on a kg lighter than the Makita DCS5121 I recently bought with an 18" bar.

Now whilst I spent the last ten years of my working life using a Husqvarna 262 which I suspect is heavier than either I don't want to have an additional half can of beans on each hand to wave about. For the little I do I find the 261 a handy little saw, much as I like the Makita for its robustness. I have never picked up a modern Husvarna in anger.

Just for info, I had an MS460 on an 18 and a mate had the exact same saw, a couple hundred between the serial numbers. His weighed 584 grams more than mine. Work that out.

Over a pound difference? I would work it out by checking the bar and the fluids, all else being equal.

Just for info, I had an MS460 on an 18 and a mate had the exact same saw, a couple hundred between the serial numbers. His weighed 584 grams more than mine. Work that out.

More than one Die cast tool for the cases . One has more wall thickness .

Over a pound difference? I would work it out by checking the bar and the fluids, all else being equal.

We checked and checked and checked. Looked at casings, mouldings, cylinder, just didn't open it up beyond the engine. Puzzled us to this day. You could feel the difference, let alone see it on the scales. Mine came from FRJ and his from MST.

Are you saying possibly or definately?

I don't know for sure but most manufacturers will have more than one supplier and some different tool makers . Maybe one die cast tool is on top limit and one on bottom limit and you had one of each ....

Good points - agree entirely what suits one person may be completely awful to another, if I feel my larger saw is getting a bit heavy after a lot of cutting, I select a smaller one to finish off.

N

I didn't write it though (even though I agree with some of it). It just looks that way in your quote because the poster originally was quoting me, and messed it up. :wink: