Wholesale logs in north Lancashire

County4x4

Hi all,

I'm trying to put some figures together around an idea for a new business - part of which would be supplying boats on the local canal with fuel for heating. I'm looking into how many of them are using woodfuel at the moment (a lot use coal in their stoves) and what would get them to buy more.

Is there anyone around the top end of Lancashire on here who could supply wholesale firewood to me, and what would be the options regarding size of the product - a lot of boat stoves are pretty small and garage forecourt stuff in nets tends to be pricey and often on the large side for them. Could it be supplied at a specific length if required?

I'd be grateful for any input along with delivered prices, minimum order requirements and so on. If you can supply nets, bags or loose I'd like to see the prices for both if that's okay. Also any advice you'd give would be more than welcome - even if it's don't do it!

I'm guessing this is going to be just a sideline for a while at least - and the wood is only part of a bigger picture that is not yet fully worked out. I'm just trying to get some numbers together and get the ideas into some sort of order before I jump into anything that's going to cost me!

I'd probably be looking for some kindling in nets as well.

I may well look at supplying to land based customers locally as well, so hopefully I could shift a reasonable amount of wood. I've run businesses before and they've done very well in a big part due to customer service - I try to make sure everyone is happy with what they get and if i say I'll be there then I will etc etc - you know the score.

If you want to discuss anything privately just send me a pm, but any input would be very welcome as you guys know more about the firewood game than I do!

Cheers all,

Andy

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mr Ed,

Thanks for your reply. I think you're right in that it will need to be nets or fertiliser size bags for the boat customers. Storage space is often at a premium so very few of them would be able to take anything like a bulk bag at a time.

As far as size goes, most of them will be running small stoves like the Morso Squirrel, or the equivalent around the 4-5 kW mark and traditional things like the small Epping range style cookers. To be honest, the Epping firebox is probably too small for effective burning of wood. We have them on our workboats on the canal and they are tiny. Fatha in law has a Squirrel at home and he feeds it stuff at about nine inches from memory.

I'm kind of hoping that delivery direct to the boat will be a plus point - at the moment they are probably having to lug it from the nearest garage and then probably split it down again. I'm looking at supplying coal as well on a similar basis, but want to be able to give the customers the option of wood. I don't know how much the garages are making on nets, but they always seem to be very expensive when you see how much wood you actually get in one! The fertiliser bag size may be a better bet.

Cheers,

Andy

Hello mate,

Well that's the big question ain't it?! The answer as ever is more elusive! This is why I'm trying to get numbers together to give me (hopefully) some idea of the viability of the idea.

Traditionally, most boaters are using coal - I'm looking into wholesale suppliers of that as well. To get any number of them into wood is going to need a good product and a keen price.

At the moment, I'm looking at this as a potential sideline business, though at the end of the day, I would like nothing more than to make my living up and down the canal. It's one of those lifestyle things really - if I could make enough to pay the bills and so on, with a little left over, then that would do for me. At the same time though, I'm not under the illusion that I can do it just for the love of it - I have bills and kids just like the next man.

Would there be a possibility of supplying the smaller size logs in bulk for me to package myself, or would it only work for you going out in nets? As I said, I'd also be interested to hear from any potential suppliers of "normal" firewood to cater to people living on the land. At the moment I'm happy to listen to what anyone has to say, and to any advice they might give.

Cheers,

Andy

Buzz - I'd probably be looking at both - though probably more at the individual boaters. I'd guess that if the marinas were to take a cut as well then there wouldn't be much left to go round. The wood is only a possible part of a bigger idea supplying coal, diesel, pump outs and other services and products to people on the canal, so it's not like it would need to supply 100% of any income.

Having stuff delivered directly to the boat would no doubt be a good selling point to many customers.

As I said to Mr Ed, I would also be interested in supplying "normal" wood to land based customers if I can buy it in at the right price. I'm open to all ideas at the moment!

Andy

i have a mate who can supply nets bags of logs, he is based near lancaster and would hav no problem keeping up with as many orders as you get. where are you based? i also know a lad near grange who might be of use. are you wanting hardwood or softwood?