Are you Skin Cancer Savvy?

Katie at FoxMedics

I will have a read of this later but one persons research does not stop the fact that sun damage does cause Melanoma, FACT. If I had a choice over Vit D deficiency then I would sooner have that and take supplements. My friends Dad has just been diagnosed and he has been told it is years of not covering up or wearing a hat.

Thanks for the input though.

its not one persons research......these surveys are huge, and have been going on for years and years and years......I think I will copy and paste them as I really feel they are of the utmost importance.....

The second article especially outlines WHY vit d supplements are not a suitable replacement too, by a LONG way.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really guys, these myths are starting to be proven as myths more and more......it seems the perceived wisdom is very very wrong!!

it seems that factor 40 could be the CAUSE of problems NOT the solution!!

Not sure Tom.

This thing on my face only popped up with my change of work to outside. Sun seems to be the likely cause.

Yep, and that is because of unproven, PERCEIVED wisdonm that makes one assume immediately what the cause is.....Until the last few years I would happily slap on sun block like the rest of them, blindly following the perceived wisdom....

Anyway, plenty of reading matter whichever view one choses to follow :-)

Im sorry Katie at fox medics, but it seems that the commonly held beliefs about sun exposure that we have all held are actually being realised now to be not only incorrect but positively dangerous, as many studies are starting to show!

It says a certain amount of sunlight helps with the production of Vit D but the time and length of exposure will vary on many dependants such as skin type strength of rays etc.. But we should still cover up.

Sun burn stops me from working, factor 30 stops me from burning, therefore I shall use it! That article seems dubious to me; lack of exposure to the sun is more likely to be caused by the modern sedentary lifestyle (slobbing indoors watching TV etc) which is probably the cause of Ill health, not the lack of sunlight caused by sun cream. A very poor scientific study indeed.

It says a certain amount of sunlight helps with the production of Vit D but the time and length of exposure will vary on many dependants such as skin type strength of rays etc.. But we should still cover up.

Indeed, cover up but NOT with sunblock:thumbup1:

Sun burn stops me from working, factor 30 stops me from burning, therefore I shall use it! That article seems dubious to me; lack of exposure to the sun is more likely to be caused by the modern sedentary lifestyle (slobbing indoors watching TV etc) which is probably the cause of Ill health, not the lack of sunlight caused by sun cream. A very poor scientific study indeed.

:001_rolleyes:

Even though a 20 year study of 30,000 people shows that advice to be so damaging????

Best of luck with that :-D

Having no direct link to the article it is difficult to appraise the facts. However the website's only quote from the original is “showed that mortality was about double in women who avoided sun exposure compared to the highest exposure group.” it offers no reason WHY this is so. Perhaps they were older, less fit, smoked, climbed trees for a living, or some other high risk was involved. It does not state that lack of sunlight is the reason for the higher mortality rate; instead it lets you assume that is the case.

The second linked article states that melanoma incidence rates have increased due to diagnostic drift, not due to increased sunlight levels. It goes on to suggest that more work is done on sunlight and the causes of melanoma, in no way does it say sunlight does not cause melanoma.

I understand the need to be skeptical but there is no science behind the claims; certainly not in those links. Spreading misinformation is not going to help anyone make an informed decision.

Also given that the first link managed to get a pop up ad to come up trying to sell me medical stuff I would take anything that site says with a very large pinch of salt.