Elm for building

Dean Lofthouse

What are you using as a roof Dean......had you thought about cedar or oak shingles to really set the building off?

It will have to be shingled Tommer.

I'm hoping the shingles stand uo to wind as my house is called "Windy Ridge" and it isn't called that for nowt !

I think they should be ok.

If I'm doing it out of Oak it will be made out of quite chunky lumps I want the beams exposed on the inside but filled in between I'll suss that bit out when it's up.

Because I used to sell all sorts of tools I have all sorts of weird and wonderful old wood working tools come in and have dealt with and got to know all manner of craftsmen who have explained and reminissed about how they used to use them and what their purposed was.

I intend to use traditional joints but modern equipment to create them.

My back door was made by a friend, to my spec it cost twice as much as a plastic door at cost, but it is absolutely solid

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have all sorts of weird and wonderful old wood working tools come in and have dealt with and got to know all manner of craftsmen who have explained and reminissed about how they used to use them and what their purposed was.

id

Sounds brill mate. If im in the brighouse area i,ll be looking you up:thumbup1:

Sounds brill mate. If im in the brighouse area i,ll be looking you up:thumbup1:

I haven't got any now Tommer, the collection I had I put on ebay, they sold all over the world, bevel guages, loads of norris planes, boxwood levels, rosewood, ebony and brass mortice guages,

I had photo's of each and every piece which I sadly lost when my last hardrive went down, well niffed

I haven't got any now Tommer, the collection I had I put on ebay, they sold all over the world, bevel guages, loads of norris planes, boxwood levels, rosewood, ebony and brass mortice guages,

I had photo's of each and every piece which I sadly lost when my last hardrive went down, well niffed

Gutted- i have some tools which have come from various sales etc, most of which i dont know what they are for, but i still keep them!:blush:

I intend to use traditional joints but modern equipment to create them.

what you want is a chain mortiser dean

most of my apprentiship when i left school was oak framing, loved it and still do, il try and dig out the photos of the one i did last summer, though it was only softwood.