Aerial rescue with mechanical devices?

josharb87

Hi Josh if the climbers system is ok then your just gonna attach him to you with 2 prussic loops and your lanyard and then come down using yours and his friction devices

Yeah i know :thumbup1: but hypothetically, what if its not? What if lowering's on a rigging lines not an option as its just the two of you? What if lowering him on your mechanical system, is the ONLY option?

Just a hypothetical situation i thought would make an interesting discussion and if its covered in the current NPTC's :001_smile:

Josh it's a Thursday evening I didn't know I had to revise for a test :001_tongue: I suppose it's got to be the quickest to tie so a prussic then 2 loops to attach him and your lanyard then down on the prussic. Have I passed ? :biggrin:

Yeah i know :thumbup1: but hypothetically, what if its not? What if lowering's on a rigging lines not an option as its just the two of you? What if lowering him on your mechanical system, is the ONLY option?

Just a hypothetical situation i thought would make an interesting discussion and if its covered in the current NPTC's :001_smile:

I'm sure somebody somewhere where said 'No plan survives first contact with the enemy.' or similar.

The truth is, when things go wrong you may have to go route one to fix them and the precise nature of that is not something you can foresee with any certainty.

e.g. If I had to get someone down in a hurry and there was no other way I'd tie myself to the tree. lower the casualty hand over hand on my rope to ground for someone to deal with then worry about me and my melted bare hands later. Bodge job? but if someone's life is on the line it may be the only option. See the point?

I'm sure somebody somewhere where said 'No plan survives first contact with the enemy.' or similar.

The truth is, when things go wrong you may have to go route one to fix them and the precise nature of that is not something you can foresee with any certainty.

e.g. If I had to get someone down in a hurry and there was no other way I'd tie myself to the tree. lower the casualty hand over hand on my rope to ground for someone to deal with then worry about me and my melted bare hands later. Bodge job? but if someone's life is on the line it may be the only option. See the point?

Good post.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

But has anyone tested or tried an aerial rescue on one system, on a mechanical device, DdRT, with "added friction"? Whats the most effective way

Yes, with a lockjack. I used my petzl reverso under the LJ, worked very well.

There are many ways to skin this cat, but it's no use knowing the theory if you haven't practised the practise.