kiln drying question

NoRush

Yes we dry our "burning logs" in the kiln. Like any stove they work so much better with the correct moisture content fuel.

Our kiln dried is £120 and seasoned £95 a cubic metre

I was of the impression this was not allowed?

I have heard from quite a few RHI claimants, that your not allowed to dry the fuel you burn in your boiler?

Completely untrue. A lot of people talk a lot of rubbish about the RHI scheme mainly taken from renewable energy companies who don't have a clue what they are on about. Chinese whispers sort of thing

Not quite sure Offgem would agree, but hey ho.

Burning wood, to dry wood, to burn in a kiln, to dry more wood, to be burnt, seems a little double Dutch to me.

I can see the logic in Renewablejohns system.

Even if you couldn't use your own product to dry more wood there could easily be a fiddle where you do a paper exercise of selling to a third party to buy it straight back to burn so you are in essence buying from another source to power your kiln. Its not a bad use of energy to produce 66 cube from 6 cube of burnt wood. It gives a very high yield so would be quite energy efficient and I imagine cost effective when a bigger producer.

Ofgem agreed because the point was bought up in a RHI meeting I went to a few weeks ago!

Im a self supplier on the BSL and I had stated on that I use kiln dried logs to fuel the boiler.

Yes it means I can buy in, produce and sell my wood in around 2 weeks. Normally I would be waiting over a year to produce and dry the wood naturally so It makes complete business sense. I've said it before a kiln isn't for everyone. If I only wanted to sell 100 cube a year on the side I wouldn't buy a kiln.

Ofgem agreed because the point was bought up in a RHI meeting I went to a few weeks ago!

Im a self supplier on the BSL and I had stated on that I use kiln dried logs to fuel the boiler.

Yes it means I can buy in, produce and sell my wood in around 2 weeks. Normally I would be waiting over a year to produce and dry the wood naturally so It makes complete business sense. I've said it before a kiln isn't for everyone. If I only wanted to sell 100 cube a year on the side I wouldn't buy a kiln.

Ok.

What has your kiln increased your annual throughput too?