1st Badger

Hi Phil,

further to fb conversation, I would burn that with a plumbers gas torch. Mapp gas is the best as it burns hotter than propane. Then sand back to bring out the stripes.

Can't tell what wood that is but as you may already know vinegar and wirewool react with tannin in wood and ebonizes it. if the wood is low in tannin you could add oak chips/dust to the mix or mashed up oak galls.

I did some sunflower seeds a while back and they ebonized pretty good. Photo is pretty poor though:001_rolleyes:

10491169_674695392585739_7100554600362523612_n.jpg.0242254a00405a7874779967316fec65.jpg

Hi Phil,

further to fb conversation, I would burn that with a plumbers gas torch. Mapp gas is the best as it burns hotter than propane. Then sand back to bring out the stripes.

Can't tell what wood that is but as you may already know vinegar and wirewool react with tannin in wood and ebonizes it. if the wood is low in tannin you could add oak chips/dust to the mix or mashed up oak galls.

I did some sunflower seeds a while back and they ebonized pretty good. Photo is pretty poor though:001_rolleyes:

Cheers Si that's great advice. I had no idea about the vinegar and wire wool. I'd prob need some more help understanding the application do I make a mix to apply I'd probably have to add some Oak chips would this not make it blue though? I'd also be a bit worried that it may bleed out from where applied how did you get such nice straight lines?

Hi Phil

I have recently carved a few badgers and torch the body before adding some oil, however I have used black and white paint just for the head, I don't like using paint normally but it finishes the badger in this case.

image.jpg.38a4430885f10851248ad20123789e52.jpg

Nice 1 thanks Ian I thought about paint and nice badger. I've just ordered a Monument 3450G Soldering & Brazing Gas Torch with the map gas as suggested by Si.

I have a big propane gas blow torch at mo and a Little campinggas blow torch the propane torch is ok but when it comes to small areas you want to scorch the campinggas torch is about as much use as a handbrake on a canoe. If this doesn't do the trick I'll be painting.

Thanks Phil