Green bin charges .....

IVECOKID

Most London councils charge about £54 for a 140 litre green waste bin, with some sort of early bird discount at times. I believe charging for garden waste spread across the country around 2012, and in some places, like Ealing, it was put up to a petition by the public. Bottom line it is a way for the councils to increase their revenue, but in the bigger picture it's meant to encourage people to compost their garden waste, rather than have vehicles go around and clear it, only to end up in a waste site.

My local council Halton Borough are from June charging £25 per bin for green waste ,do any other Councils charge ?

I am not really concerned at the moment has majority of my Grass customers are with Liverpool and Knowsley but going from feed back here very few are going to pay which will leave me with the dilemma of charging customers for taking waste away ...catch 22 .

Ste

Hi STE that's cheap ours is £50 plus mate but I do not use it thanks Jon

Powys collect food waste for anaerobic digestion free but don't collect garden waste & will not empty black bins if garden waste is spotted in them.

Hotbin composters are becoming very popular with people round here who have a lot of grass clippings as they break down so fast in them compared to other composting methods. People also tend to buy mulching mowers when they replace their old ones as there are no clippings to deal with then. Bonfires for the woody stuff as has always been done in this area.

We take all or grass cuttings away in ton sacks. At the end of the day we tip them at a local allotment. We lose our waste and they have a huge communal compost bin that they can throw stuff in and help themselves to whenever they please. Everyone is happy because it's free tipping and free soil conditioner!

Paying for a green bin doesn't appeal! It's a modern way to deal with something that isn't really rubbish at all. I know people who do a tip run and then buy compost on the way home - you can't educate some folk!:lol: