Barcham seminar. Charles Mynors, Trees & the Law

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there,

30th July in Edinburgh is the Scottish Branch Trees and The Law Seminar with Charles Mynors and Jeremy Barrell.

Still some places left here: Trees and the Law in Scotland Seminar.

I don't think anything's been confirmed for later in the year yet, could be wrong though!

Cheers,

Stephen

30th JUNE that should be! Sorry!

Barchams hospitality was first class! Food & beverage on the day was spot on. The opportunity to meet the team the day before, tour the nursery and an invitation to join Dr Mynors, Keith and Stephanie for dinner was an unexpected bonus!

During the seminar I sat next to a lady from a local volunteer woodland group. At the end, after listening intently and taking many notes throughout the day, she said "He doesn't like trees does he?"

I thought it was a really strange observation so pressed a bit further, she had formed the view that the main thrust of the briefing was ways in which trees can "legally" be cut down / back.

I think she may have missed the point that legalities are important when trees and people come into conflict and, although there was much talk and many examples of cutting / felling, sometimes that course of action is entirely appropriate and we need to appreciate the restrictions and opportunities that are available within the bounds of good practice, cooperation and, ultimately, the law.

Not quite sure what her expectation was but surely if you go to a seminar delivered by a legal professional, you might expect to hear examples of where trees and humans (or humans / humans with a tree as a sub text) come into conflict? Nice lady all the same and useful to consider the content of the day from her perspective, not something I would have done otherwise.

It's also interesting to see people suggesting more TPOs.

I guess that too is a matter of "perspective." Are there any LAs conducting reviews of existing TPOs?