rack saw blade

Timber terrier

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you google yankee sawmills inserted blade saws, youll turn up quite a few suppliersthe system was very popular up until bandsaws became popular. you will need to find the size and type of both the holder and the insert, and the "set" pattern, watching these type of mills in action is mesmerising, but its only when you actually see how much of the blade is unused that you start to see why they fell out of favour. good luck on your quest, and have fun

is there blade guides to the rear of your blade? mine only has one set on the cutting side, i added another set to the rear for a better cut and this made the blade worse and encouraged chattering. it may be worth trying with and or without?

Called Atkinson Walker today and they no longer deal with that type of saw. Bennetts however do and are collecting it Thursday morning. It does have guides at the back of the blade which I've adjusted a few times. I shall play around with it when I get it running again.

• 1 month later...

Atkinson walker did ours not long ago, Feb, but I know the chap who hammered them was coming up to retirement, ours is a 6 footer, I've 4 racks here, one set up and one rebuilt portable, one the others are projects. all stenner and gunn number 4s. the one set up is 28 foot steel table, hydraulic feed with 4 speeds (gearbox) and spool valve.

if you look at Simmonds they supply the bits (teeth) EPS in wiveliscombe do them (Simonds agents) but best thing we got was a jockey grinder 110v and I can sharpen the 6 foot blade in minutes now, just looking to get a big horizontal now!

the trees keep getting bigger!