Your quoting guidance

SPC Trees

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a job could take one day or could take three days, I'd rather quote as though it will take three days rather than giving a day rate. If I get the job I'm happy whichever way it goes, and I might do very well from it.

Tree work requires great marketing, just like any business. Doing so means there will be enough customers to not take chances on quoting low.

Having done quotes for the last 8 years... Landscaping, fencing and trees for the last couple of years I've learned that it is much more an art than a science.

There are so many variables at play.

I know guys that price work according to set price bands...and are quite rigid in how they go about it.

I tend to feel my way around a quote taking into account things like customers mood/disposition. Access Parking. Distance to drag. Neighbours garden any good to use as drop zone? Targets, obstacles etc.How affluent is the customer and are there any tell tale signs as to how they spend their money? Try and find as much info about them while doing the quote, this will intuitively tell me how to approach the final price and negotiations.

Do I give one price regardless?? Definitely not. If someone is genuinely struggling with their budget I will try and help. If I think someone is well off and just being a chancer to get a cheap price then I'll tell them how it is :)

When we look at our figures at the end of the year and analyse them it gives us a good idea of how we are doing.... Are we being efficient? Are we spending on kit unnecessarily?

What areas can we improve on? Do we increase or decrease our prices to be more competitive or stop doing less profitable types of work?

Etc.. Etc..

Like I said before, it's much more an art than a science.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks

Having done quotes for the last 8 years... Landscaping, fencing and trees for the last couple of years I've learned that it is much more an art than a science.

There are so many variables at play.

I know guys that price work according to set price bands...and are quite rigid in how they go about it.

I tend to feel my way around a quote taking into account things like customers mood/disposition. Access Parking. Distance to drag. Neighbours garden any good to use as drop zone? Targets, obstacles etc.How affluent is the customer and are there any tell tale signs as to how they spend their money? Try and find as much info about them while doing the quote, this will intuitively tell me how to approach the final price and negotiations.

Do I give one price regardless?? Definitely not. If someone is genuinely struggling with their budget I will try and help. If I think someone is well off and just being a chancer to get a cheap price then I'll tell them how it is :)

When we look at our figures at the end of the year and analyse them it gives us a good idea of how we are doing.... Are we being efficient? Are we spending on kit unnecessarily?

What areas can we improve on? Do we increase or decrease our prices to be more competitive or stop doing less profitable types of work?

Etc.. Etc..

Like I said before, it's much more an art than a science.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks

A great reply, lots of relevant questions that I think are commonly overlooked. I saw somebody offering to do quotes from 3 photographs the other day, they are bound to get caught out sooner or later.