Advice Buying/Building/Running a Timber Lorry

woodsmanmatt

I'd say it's a lot of effort to go to, especially if you don't already have the right license, or an operators certificate, or the wagon itself.

If you do decide to go ahead with it, I'd say an 8 wheeler would be the minimum to go for - barely any bigger than a 6 wheeler and should carry 18T as a minimum.

Also, pretty sure it'd need a tacho too.

You could be right, it is a lot of effort although the HGV licence is something I've been thinking about for a while for various reasons so would be dual purpose. Also I genuinely think there is a need locally and an opportunity to build my own business, and if I don't someone else will, but I need to make sure the figures are going to stack up before I go any further.

18t would be a good payload if it were possible!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looked at similar a while ago, especially the ex army DAF 45. Yes, they are four wheel drive, sturdy, some come with cranes but as with most 4x4 trucks they will only carry about 4 ton. Add a crane and that reduces to about 2.5 to 3 tons so it quickly becomes non viable.

You therefore have to move to something bigger with a bigger crane which means greater operating costs and less likely hood of getting on to and off sites easily.

Not sure grant could be used to purchase ex army vehicle either as the item usually, if they will let you buy second hand, has to be up to a certain number of years old.

And don't forget if you look at forwarding trailers, a ten ton trailer does not carry ten ton, take off weight of trailer and crane and you will be down to 6 to 7 ton.

Good luck and keep us posted on your decision.

Yes payload on these does seem to be an issue, looks like it's a 6x4 or 8 wheeler, and good point about the grant funding, I'd better check the T's and C's on this.

There's a shortage of small timber wagons near us. Our local chap with a 8 wheeler is always flat out.

Why do you need a off-roader?

Definitely a shortage here too! Doesn't necessarily need to be an off roader, but they just popped up on my searches and look the business, but payload would be the most important thing.

A decent 6x6 would do you for that job, Things like the Iveco 6X6 with 250hp and 26 ton gross, mine is not finished yet because life has got in the way but hopefully will it get done soon. If you get one thats piped for air they can also pull a 15 ton trailer.

Like it :thumbup1: That's the kind of thing I was thinking!

This could possibly be made to work, but only an 8t payload:

Renault G300 Maxter RHD, 4x4 8T Cargo Truck , #55435 - MOD Sales, Military Vehicles & Used Ex MOD Land Rovers for Sale

I like that it's already Tacho'd etc, and would be ideal for the types of sites we have round here with quite limited access.

it would work well with a drag trailer meaning greater load but that needs another operators ticket.

watch with the prices too the one pictured is their best and the price stated is for the one they rolled 6 years ago:001_smile:

Thanks, that's the kind of info I need really. I'll have a look into the costs, but do you have any ballpark figures on how expensive this all is? Do the inspections need to be by a mechanic or can you do it yourself? Presumably I could be the Transport Manager myself as an owner/operator?.

Inspections, depending on mileage are every 6 to 12 weeks.

I don't think you have to be a qualified mechanic but you will need reasonable amount of knowledge.

If you inspect the lorry and something goes wrong, you will be held accountable.

It only takes a couple of hours to inspect the lorry, so shouldn't be overly expensive.

Pretty sure you need a transport manager cpc, but yeah, you can ne your own manager.

Again, alot of responsibility, if something happens your help accountable.