Intro to SRT

I actually think the hitch hiker is well on par with the rope wrench with the added bonus of being able to switch to DDRT too. Easy to install a pulley with HH too. really looking forward to mk 2 HH. Had to leap to its defense as I really think the HH is the best tool to make a transfer to SRT. Simple and very versatile....

Agree it was a great tool for transitioning for my self when I got in to climbing SRT but after playing around with other devices I came to the conclusion it was not fluid enough for me , what I didn't like was that like other SRT devices it works best with a chest harness or ridged tether as its heavy,this I find very restrictive branch walking as your almost face planting the rope and there is no freedom of movement and coming back in off branches SRT systems work better not hanging by your feet so I've found a real sweet spot with tree motion elastic and tubing wrapped in hitch cord sheath as a tether clipped in to the top eye of the hitch climber RW combo , this gives so much better movement and self tends spot on for me ,also I don't like the way the cordage on the HH works, seems I could never find a sweet spot ! Any way every climber is going to have a different opinion on what system suits them so try them all if you can , to me the HH started off great but I like the RW which I hated at first but because I've found it works best with my tethers and ascenders to achieve what I feel is the ultimate climbing system.... Apart from that RW drag !! So there's always room for improvement the ultimate is yet to be found!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree it was a great tool for transitioning for my self when I got in to climbing SRT but after playing around with other devices I came to the conclusion it was not fluid enough for me , what I didn't like was that like other SRT devices it works best with a chest harness or ridged tether as its heavy,this I find very restrictive branch walking as your almost face planting the rope and there is no freedom of movement and coming back in off branches SRT systems work better not hanging by your feet so I've found a real sweet spot with tree motion elastic and tubing wrapped in hitch cord sheath as a tether clipped in to the top eye of the hitch climber RW combo , this gives so much better movement and self tends spot on for me ,also I don't like the way the cordage on the HH works, seems I could never find a sweet spot ! Any way every climber is going to have a different opinion on what system suits them so try them all if you can , to me the HH started off great but I like the RW which I hated at first but because I've found it works best with my tethers and ascenders to achieve what I feel is the ultimate climbing system.... Apart from that RW drag !! So there's always room for improvement the ultimate is yet to be found!

I'm presuming your using the elastic as a neck ascender?

Just a loop to keep any device to advance and tend , but Personally like the loop large, so it's not restrictive in movement , you only seem to be able to get away with this on the wrench if you want it to still self tend effectively... The others seem to require a chest style tethers.. Is that the correct term?? Or very short loop ,Might work completely different for other people though! This is what I'm using at the minute although I've shortened the hitch a bit as I kept getting fingers stuck in the wrench lol!

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1440915756.682554.jpg.802e01519d4274fa1fe8682a9a403eb6.jpg

How do you find it coming back in james ??, I've found with the adjustable elastic neck loop it can pretty much stay on most of the time and really makes the climb easier , only really clip it off for long descents, I've put two tree motion push elastic adjusters on near the clip to make it slacker but still give support branch walking and shorter for straight up ascents.

How do you find it coming back in james ??, I've found with the adjustable elastic neck loop it can pretty much stay on most of the time and really makes the climb easier , only really clip it off for long descents, I've put two tree motion push elastic adjusters on near the clip to make it slacker but still give support branch walking and shorter for straight up ascents.

Hello Matty, do you mean that for the most part of the climb you leave your chest harness/tether/keeper (whatever) clipped on?

... I don't like the way the cordage on the HH works, seems I could never find a sweet spot ! ....

We are all different in how we climb and what we like so there is room for lots of different tools. However, as a hitch-based tool, it is not surprising that you were unhappy with the HH performance with the above statement. It is all about the rope/hitch combo. Get that right and it is sweet.

Once my hitch is set I do not need to adjust it for the rest of the climb. Of all the tethers I have tried I still like the fast adjusting Petzl Torse with a swivel snap, so when it is not being used to advance the HH it is clipped onto my waste belt and keeps my harness in place. My setup advances as smoothly as a Hitchclimber pulley so it is rare that I use the tether for anything other than ascent.

20150825_114938-1_resized.jpg.3b672a5a75938df122ffe7574b3f7259.jpg

Hello Matty, do you mean that for the most part of the climb you leave your chest harness/tether/keeper (whatever) clipped on?

Just advancing the line it's clipped on... But I can slacken it right off if It's not a major limb to get out on.

D MC I tried the hitch exactly as recommended in the instructions and like I said it was a great tool for transition in to srt... Your set up looks good and would work well amending the problems I found hindering my HH set up. Will try them out, thanks.

Edited by MattyF

VT is good on the HH.

Sheesh, where is my Torse, super quick adjustability is right.

Matty, anything other than vertical, except in a couple of cases, shouldn't need a chest tether. My beginner students always leave it clipped on, they accept not being able to move from the waist as part and parcel of SRT climbing. Funny.

IMG_1504.jpg.e99b96b6b92e1f4dfe5fd1ef0b6ee6ce.jpg

VT is good on the HH.

Sheesh, where is my Torse, super quick adjustability is right.

Matty, anything other than vertical, except in a couple of cases, shouldn't need a chest tether. My beginner students always leave it clipped on, they accept not being able to move from the waist as part and parcel of SRT climbing. Funny.

It's nice to keep up the bridge like in D MC s photo so it's all in front of you instead of dragging by your feet, adjusting my neck tether so it's slack allows this ... Also with elastic you can move ,unlike a rigid tether I just find it hassle constantly unclipping and re clipping in to kit...