Van leasing... Any good?

TIMON

New trucks to me are just a pure waste of cash, however they're bought. There are plenty of brilliant used vehicles on the market that, with a lick of paint and some decals can be as eyecatching as any new truck. New stuff is often vanity. Spend your money on something more worthwhile - booze, women, travel, whatever.

I can see your point and normally go this route my self ( 3 years old 50 k miles half the money of new ) but more now than ever I give a lot of thought to buy new and dump at end of warranty. Diesel engines now seem to be very electronic and complex to meet emmission requirements. This fashion for getting more horses out of less cc's also means less margin for error when things go pear shaped. They don't put an once more ally ( note not copper ) into radiator than they need to. At 5 k for a new engine that's a third of the value of a new vehicle.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last 3 vans I bought from new. Vauxhall with a 28% disc off list with7% disc on optional accessories like upgrade on sound, heated mirrors, air con, sat nav, up-rated suspension, up-rated power etc. The only things I couldn't get were cruise and leather! Buying new you get exactly what you want over s/h.

Cost £15k plus VAT. The only thing I did't get was alloys and metallic. Coming up to 9 years old. First 3 years no MOT required, that can cost money if the van is off the road. After 3 years a gamble. I get it serviced at a top place who look after me. That's just £1700 quid a year. If the money was in the bank that would be another £100. When I come to change it I might get £1,500 with all those extras.

I've had a couple of bigger bills recently but even with this servicing, all tyres etc I calculate an average of £600 a year average so that all comes to less than £50 a week for the last 9 years. It gets me from a to b in comfort. I spend more on my phones.

So for less than £50 a week I get a top spec vehicle fully serviced and maintained and don't have to worry about dents scratches and mileage.

As said before I'll get something back when it is sold.

If there was an expensive fault then I'd just order a new van with the money I've saved over the years.

You still need tax insurance fuel etc but then that applies to whichever method you do.

I can see your point and normally go this route my self ( 3 years old 50 k miles half the money of new ) but more now than ever I give a lot of thought to buy new and dump at end of warranty. Diesel engines now seem to be very electronic and complex to meet emmission requirements. This fashion for getting more horses out of less cc's also means less margin for error when things go pear shaped. They don't put an once more ally ( note not copper ) into radiator than they need to. At 5 k for a new engine that's a third of the value of a new vehicle.

I think that will become more common Steve.

Work trucks don't last like they used to in the 'computer says no' generation.

Well maybe they do, but extortionate cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Last 3 vans I bought from new. Vauxhall with a 28% disc off list with7% disc on optional accessories like upgrade on sound, heated mirrors, air con, sat nav, up-rated suspension, up-rated power etc. The only things I couldn't get were cruise and leather! Buying new you get exactly what you want over s/h.

Cost £15k plus VAT. The only thing I did't get was alloys and metallic. Coming up to 9 years old. First 3 years no MOT required, that can cost money if the van is off the road. After 3 years a gamble. I get it serviced at a top place who look after me. That's just £1700 quid a year. If the money was in the bank that would be another £100. When I come to change it I might get £1,500 with all those extras.

I've had a couple of bigger bills recently but even with this servicing, all tyres etc I calculate an average of £600 a year average so that all comes to less than £50 a week for the last 9 years. It gets me from a to b in comfort. I spend more on my phones.

So for less than £50 a week I get a top spec vehicle fully serviced and maintained and don't have to worry about dents scratches and mileage.

As said before I'll get something back when it is sold.

If there was an expensive fault then I'd just order a new van with the money I've saved over the years.

You still need tax insurance fuel etc but then that applies to whichever method you do.

Agreed also when you have them from new you know how they have been treated and even when 9 years old don't seem to give as much trouble as the used 3 year old van.