Porting Saws

R Haigh

Depends on who what and how , Who did the porting , what they did and how they did it , my 560xp stock piston with no mods and mild porting no probs so far , i think the saw runs a tad cooler now so that must be good

I've never had or used a ported saw but I was wondering if doing it would shorten the life span of a saw ? And what sort of benefits does it have ?

The muffler mod extends the cylinder life as the saw runs cooler, this has also cured a fault with the oil gallery warping and splitting on my 560.

Porting adjustments should not affect the life of the saw either, unless the exhaust port is significantly raised to increase rpm. The greatest strain on the saw comes from adjusting the timing and increasing compression, but the muffler mod usually compensates for this with the increased cooling.

Just had a conversation with a guy whom I had ported his MS150. He had been up a tree doing some heavy dismantling up to 10" diameter.

He said he would have normally gone up to an M200 or more in the tree with the added weight and fatigue of using a heavier saw plus the job would have also taken longer.

He managed the whole job with the MS150, did it in a shorter time, felt less fatigued it cut up to 10" full bar length with no bogging and made the job easier.

It sort of sums up what it is about.