SHopping for a new harness - Austria 3.2

Dilz

Same here with the TM as well. Love it and hate it at the same time. I think it's designed to sit low which means if you hang a saw off it, it tends to pull down.

I liked the Buckingham ergo lite. Really comfy and supportive but I really didn't like the "blue" rope on the bridge being exposed at either end and so I got a treemotion.

Having said that the TM has some great features that seem to outweigh the niggles with it.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here with the TM as well. Love it and hate it at the same time. I think it's designed to sit low which means if you hang a saw off it, it tends to pull down.

I liked the Buckingham ergo lite. Really comfy and supportive but I really didn't like the "blue" rope on the bridge being exposed at either end and so I got a treemotion.

Having said that the TM has some great features that seem to outweigh the niggles with it.

I was in my TM for 8 hours today and tried to be critical of it but.....

The chain saw lanyard attachment is important for me.

I often use the lower D rings.

It is very comfy, except when on spikes (& I don't do spike work a lot).

I was in my TM for 8 hours today and tried to be critical of it but.....

The chain saw lanyard attachment is important for me.

I often use the lower D rings.

It is very comfy, except when on spikes (& I don't do spike work a lot).

Yeah, I find myself going to the lower D 's a lot they are really useful.

I'm going to take off some of the plastic loops 'cos I think I've made mine too busy.

I used my hitchclimber (normally on a zigzag) the other day with my strop in the spare eye on the pulley. That is when the range of movement and work positioning of the TM really came into its own. I started to appreciate the lower fit for the first time.

I normally tighten the upper part of the harness really tight and leave the loops quite loose wearing it probably higher than I should.

I've had it about 6 months now. I used to have a stein vega before that.

i'm wondering if the back on my TM is just too old and worn soft. Its a mint harness when set up right for pruning though its crap as soon as you hang anything bigger than a 192 off it. I have the bridge set up really short. as i found it helps with self tending of my vt. I hang of my front D's when doing work positioning but on the sides for stem work. My mate spikes using the front d's - i tried it but i'd need to make the bridge longer for it to work.... When putting the harness on i have found that the best thing to do is nearly kill myself putting it on as tight as possible on around the waist and then it sits right as soon as i start to climb. Not sure if i wear it too high but i wear it wear it feels it gives my back the most support. I know some one who as the 3.2 but they have it in small...and i couldnt even begin to fit into it!

Tree motion is a funny harness, I personally love it, but then I do a lot more pruning/climb around kind of jobs, not many big take downs on spikes like yourself. Do you use the extra padded back on it? Have you thought of a spiderjack? I'm sure you will love the lockjack though mate especially for pines lots of up and down stuff. Still got the 2cv but it lives in dads garage a lot these days haha, you must love Sweden you hated it about 2 years ago haha you on Instagram mate?

Sweden is like my tree motion - i love it and hate it in varying degrees depending on what kind of day i have had! Tried the spider jack - cant get on with the thumb on the wood block thing, feels very wrong. A mate had one and got jolted hard and dislocated his thumb. I found i could get a lot of fine control out of my mates lockjack - although he was using a 13m rope and a well worn cam - i understand from new they can be a bit grabby. I bought the extra padded back as soon as it came out - it was a useless harness until it had that on it would almost slip out of the thing when getting right on the tips of stuff - i think its meant for for fat people - given the amount of excess on the waist strap. Not on instagram, my phone just about manages to send text messages let alone take decent photos. I float about on FB a bit if you are on there.

Thought I would chip in again :biggrin:

I like my Austria 3.2 nice and high, and to fit snug for back. I'm a 36inch waist (slowly,hopefully, reducing, along with beer consumption), and I have a Medium size harness. If you are any thinner than that, get the small.

However, when you first adjust everything, you will probably think the leg loops are too loose and you ordered the wrong size. You haven't, it is by design. They are deliberately designed to NOT be tight and snug on your leg, but having said that, it works. Hence the reason why its more comfortable to use the lower D rings when spiking.

And I recently did an "advanced rigging and rescue operations" course, and on the course, we all used different systems. Me, with my Hitchclimber and Die-Happy knot, my workmate and another chap with LJ, and another with zigzag. Zigzag is nice, smooth and quick, particularly nice in the rain. I like my knots. I just found the LJ to restrict movement, not smooth enough, and gets bloomin hot when zipping down on a rescue.

But as I said, purely personal opinion:001_smile:

But the Austria 3.2 is still the best...... :thumbup: