Check list for being legal

Mike H

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure about that bit in bold? I can't see anything saying the trailer mustn't weigh more than the towing vehicle (or not for B+E, C+E etc). It would make a nonsense of our vehicle for example, MAM of vehicle is just over 2500kg, max trailer weight is 3500kg.

that part is only relevant for C1+E. 3.5t-7.5t vehicles and trailers, and only if you only hold C1 (grandmother rights)

If you hold C+E you can drive the same truck with a trailer heavier than itself.

Yes why would you have a tipper for bags you would need a crane that takes you down to a ton so 3 builders bags or 2 cube bags and leave your lunch box at the yard.

Anybody doing any volume of firewood needs to be able to get 4 cube bags on

Ive been hiding from the fact that I need a tacho for ages but I'm at the point now where I'm on the road that much vosa are going to nab or worse have an accident and the insurance be void.

I'm going down the 5/7.5 tonne route it narks me but what other choice do I have.

we are doing the same next vehicle change 3.5t just doesn't suit any more and a lot of deliveries are in cul de sac's where you don't want to be with a trailer.

Many people who should use a tacho don't have one, I only know of one that was fined £200 and then fitted one (£1200).

Yes it's 100km now but it is only for taking tools and equipment for the driver to work with. Delivering goods or equipment is not exempt.

In your case you may argue that taking and delivering logs from your woodland is forestry, and thus exempt from tacho but that wood that you buy in is not exempted.

Once the MAM of the unit exceeds 7.5 tonnes you must use the tacho unless exempted, so putting a small chipper on the back of a 7.5 tonne truck means you must use the tacho.

From just losing a planning application the planners say whenever we take wood from a woodland it has to go to an industrial site or the end user. In their eyes any wood leaving a woodland is no longer forestry, hence be careful with that thought of forestry.

Here is a VOSA document I have just stumbled upon at:

http://www.novadata.co.uk/userdata/files/rules_on_drivers_hours_and_tachographs_-_goods_vehicles_in_gb_and_europe.pdf

It states (page 15)....

"Exempt from EU Regulations:

Vehicles used or hired without a driver by agricultural,

horticultural, forestry, farming or fishery undertakings

for carrying goods as part of their own entrepreneurial activity within a radius of 100 km from the base of the undertaking."

...which suggests we are only subject to UK regulations. If that is correct, then a Tacho is not required. Written Records may be required, but the chart on page 27 on the above document shows that journeys within 50km (now 100km) don't even need this.

The key, I suppose, is whether 'logs' are deemed 'forestry'?

Or am I missing something?

Sorry logs are classified as industrial by planners.

sounds like a 3.5t transit tipper is the way to go.

it weighs 2.4t unloaded, 1 ton of logs = no tacho.

I hope any way :)

Unlikely to carry one tone of logs without being over weight, for you also need to add the fuel, drivers, passangers and any tools and food weight, the latter highly likely to be more than 100kg.

What madness!

I manage the woods on my farm. Split logs where tree lands in field and that area of field is suddenly industrial?????

Aye right.

One step futher, hold cord in woodland, use the same area to store cord annunally, I'm told I need planning promission, at present after 4 years building a successful business it looks like we will be forced to close, we bought a 4 area field to us as yard on 1/4 area, the rest was going to be kept as chalk grassland now planning to free range pigs, cutting our own wood which we manage for others or as a sub clearing edge heavy chestnut on forestry commission land for a fence maker. Mainly sell logs and some arb work.