PLB (Personal Locator Beacons) Good or Bad?!?

Katie at FoxMedics

I recently delivered a course and I was asked to discuss Personal Locator Beacons with the group and the benefits. There seemed to be a fear factor amongst the group that the PLB was to be used only when The Grim Reaper was staring down at them otherwise a hefty fine would be passed along to them..

I couldn't find any details of fines being issued to users as surely if you feel you need to use the PLB then you are in some sort of danger and in need of help.

I was wondering if any of you guys carry a PLB or even your experiences of using one...

a PLB, or SARBE, if properly registered, and triggered will instigate a SAR response, if used correctly this will not cause a problem, but if abused could lead to the user getting a hefty bill, I am only aware of one "kit" carrying these at the moment and the users should hopefully be aware of there proper use. If you know you are going to be working in remote areas where there is no phone, or radio, coverage, think about investing in a sat phone, they arent that expensive, and work everywhere( if you can see sky, they work !), they might just save someones life

have wondered about a plb although i am on an estate and do lone forestry at times my supposed buddy system is others answering phones, makes me nervous knowing they may not answer cause in wrong mood etc.

would a plb go through to a dedicated operator or other service - ie one who doesnt suffer moods etc and just answers regardless?

PLB's trigger an alarm at a national monitoring centre, 24/7 cover, thats why they have to be registred to the user, most dont have a talk facility, but as technology advances they are getting cleverer, they do however have a GPS locator in them

They can locate your exact position as Agrimog stated with the GPS system. Something perhaps worth investing in David Wood, peace of mind that's for sure. Mobiles are great but with a PLB its maybe much simpler to activate than try and fiddle around unlocking your mobile and then finding a contact etc..

This link has a lovely confident chap explaining all about PLBs -

[ame]

[/ame]

I have a Spot Gen3 that I use in remote areas. Can track location, send OK or need assistance messages to predefined numbers / email addresses and in an emergency sends an SOS which will be directed to emergency services. Messages have to pre programmed. Yellow brick would be another one to look at; it allows you to compose messages & txt , but a bit more expensive.

Trevor