LAND ROVER 110 brakes thanks all

mendiplogs

Yep, if you're warping discs (unless you spend all your time going up and down mountains with a full load) then sticking calipers leading to binding brakes, leading to overheated discs, is very likely your problem. In normal use the rear brakes don't do a whole lot anyway, so certainly shouldn't be overheating/warping. If you haven't changed the flexi hoses recently, that can also be a culprit - they start to collapse internally, so when you pres the pedal the fluid is forced through the hose into the caliper, but when you release the pedal it can't easily flow back, so causes binding/overheating. Then when you get home and investigate it appears to have all freed off again. Worth a look.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, if you're warping discs (unless you spend all your time going up and down mountains with a full load) then sticking calipers leading to binding brakes, leading to overheated discs, is very likely your problem. In normal use the rear brakes don't do a whole lot anyway, so certainly shouldn't be overheating/warping. If you haven't changed the flexi hoses recently, that can also be a culprit - they start to collapse internally, so when you pres the pedal the fluid is forced through the hose into the caliper, but when you release the pedal it can't easily flow back, so causes binding/overheating. Then when you get home and investigate it appears to have all freed off again. Worth a look.

HI KEV THANKS FOR THAT NEW HOSE it is then thanks Jon

Hi Jon,

Ive just had vented discs all round, Don't ask me what make they are, as wejust wanted "uprated brakes". Griff at Tyseley 4x4 in birmingham sorts my truck out as and when. Very accommodating, give him a bell on 0121 7067362. If you give him my name he will be able to let you know what he did.

All the best

Nathan

lol no, the last owners never really changed the discs for years just pads so when Griff came to take the discs off with the hammer the disc sheared off the middle bit!!!!!

They were changed as I kept on moaning that I was having to stand on the brakes to stop, especially with the trailer on at 6-7 tonne

As i say can't put vented on rear you would in effect over brake the rear axle and cause some quite interesting and potentially dangerous stopping I'd like to see the rear discs if possible rather than the fronts to confirm but I know of no one doing calipers to fit the rears that will take vented discs ! As said John you need thorough service of the braking system and find out what's causing the calipers to stick and warm up the discs and warp them

Those rears are classed as solid there cross drilled and grooved the fronts will be vented like two discs together with air space you probably have ebc discs and pads or all makes.

HI MATE we had EBC pads made for us by a chap who work there thanks im going to look into the callipes thanks jon :thumbup:

Jon also re the full system for instance the front calipers are sticking or stuck or any of them are full of mud etc stopping them returning properly they will bind or if there is a lazy calipers then the others have more work to do therefor putting more strain through them more heat more warping that's why it may sound womanly naming on about full health check on the whole system but brakes are vital and properly working in full health a 300tdi 110 will stop well ! Even better with updated parts eg cross drilled and groves discs and high quality pads and braided brake flexible pipes !

Edited by twistedhicap