qualified do I need to be ?

bythamboy

You shouldn't have to attach a report. You only need to outline the reasons for wishing to undertake the works which can be within the description linked to the tree number. If you have said the reason is that they are dangerous you may need a report. Phone the TO and ask why they need a report for a sound arboricultural practice as outlined in bs3998 and see what the answer is

Probably better phoning the planning department, as its a planning matter, rather than the TO.

we regularly apply for works to trees in conservation areas ( s211 ) without too much grief from the LA , but I have just put in an application to re-pollard 5 limes that are subject to a TPO (s ) and the LA has invalidated the application because no arboricultural report was attached . I have a level 2 Nc Arb and have started a level 4 course ( not completed ) , does that make me qualified to make a report in this case or do I legally need a expert with a level 5 / 6 degree ?:confused1:

IMHO, and taking on board the very valid comments made to date, I too would speak to the TO and/or provide a simple report / covering letter reinforcing your reasons and explaining the long-term benefits of the proposed works.

I cannot see thereafter why they would refuse to register the application although they may of course refuse it in which case you could consider appeal...not ideal but an option.

Speak to the TO.

Cheers..

Paul

PS The qualifications issue is relevant to some extent but more to do with the report and content that you produce.

I have today made a little progress . after emailing the trainee clerical support officer with my arguments for not requiring a third party report he passed it up to a junior planning officer who has graciously allowed me to provide a report myself " as I appear to have an arb qual ". my LA is SKDC in south Lincolnshire , they do not have a TO but hire in 1 day / week a consultant but effectively only does site visits in my area alternate weeks . Been like that for some years now . Thanks for your comments every one .

I have today made a little progress . after emailing the trainee clerical support officer with my arguments for not requiring a third party report he passed it up to a junior planning officer who has graciously allowed me to provide a report myself " as I appear to have an arb qual ". my LA is SKDC in south Lincolnshire , they do not have a TO but hire in 1 day / week a consultant but effectively only does site visits in my area alternate weeks . Been like that for some years now . Thanks for your comments every one .

Under the circumstances be cooperative, accommodating and helpful and hopefully it will stand you in good stead going forward.

Building relationships are key here...usually!

Well done n good luck.:thumbup1:

Paul

I would argue that if you are taking back to previous pruning points you are then maintaining a topped tree as a pollard. A pollard as we know should be formed as a young tree but sadly people do routinely top trees. You can of course reduce a previously topped tree to the standards for a reduction. I do however also maintain a couple of trees which have in the past been brutally topped as pollards in this case however willows. At no point did the OP suggest that it was topping. Correctly maintained pollards that have been done so from an early age are a fantastic sight and s very valuable method of tree management topped trees are not.