DIY firewood.

blaggy111

If you are buying it in at the 'going rate' then the only saving to be made is the element of profit that you would have paid to your local 'professional' log dealer and that is only the case if you can cut, split, stack, store, season and move them as efficiently as they do (which is unlikely).

Don't kid yourself you can save money unless you consider your own time to be worthless. If you have not yet purchased any kit then the cheapest option would be an artic of Latvia's finest - they are not bothered whether it is going to a dealer or end user.

However, there is great satisfaction in the whole process of preparing your own firewood and it can potentially justify quite a few toys that might not otherwise be allowed. :sneaky2: So good luck to you and enjoy yourself! :001_smile:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are buying it in at the 'going rate' then the only saving to be made is the element of profit that you would have paid to your local 'professional' log dealer and that is only the case if you can cut, split, stack, store, season and move them as efficiently as they do (which is unlikely).

Don't kid yourself you can save money unless you consider your own time to be worthless. If you have not yet purchased any kit then the cheapest option would be an artic of Latvia's finest - they are not bothered whether it is going to a dealer or end user.

However, there is great satisfaction in the whole process of preparing your own firewood and it can potentially justify quite a few toys that might not otherwise be allowed. :sneaky2: So good luck to you and enjoy yourself! :001_smile:

I had to change my original idea due to a cash flow prob, so I bought some arb waste instead plus a tree from a work mates house I dismantled for him. There was roughly 6 ton in all, took me around 20 hrs to saw, chop and stack approx 10-11 cubic metres of logs mainly hardwood, probably 80/20 mix. Round here its around 60 to 80 quid a cubic bag. The wood I bought cost 240. Even at 60 a cube I've made a reasonable saving, plus a few good workouts thrown in!

According to my maths that means you got around £18 an hour for your time. Which sounds OK to me!

Don't forget the saving on tax - if you buy logs in as an individual then you're using income thats been taxed. I think that needs to be factored in :thumbup1: