very basic climbing.

harvey b davison

Hi all,

I dont climb at all for my job, and never intend to. However, whenever i take the kids to woods they are always on at me to climb, make swings, rope bridges etc. Now i can vaguely remember how to make rope bridges, but ive never really learned anything about climbing. So i guess my question is how do i get started and what basic gear do i need, remembering this is just for fun and not for work.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Harvey.

Hi Harvey, Just a rope, carabiner and a sling to make a harness out of. A lid is handy if you going higher. Most arb climbers start with a couple of prusiks. Basic kit for any proper hight would be: a lid, a rope, a couple of carabiners, a couple of prusik cords and a harness. You can get kids ones. Knots you need are just a double figure 8 and prusik hitch and fisherman's to join prusik cord. Hope that helps!

I use Yale XTC Fire from Gustharts Yale XTC Fire | climbing | climbing-ropes | Gustharts. For none professional climbing you still need to keep safe, especially if your taking kids with you. Always wear head protection! However you can probably consider cheaper and less durable kit. I'm a tree climber really, rather than rock but it's all the same principle. If its trees your wanting to climb Gustharts do some good kit deals where you get everything you need to start off. They include a through line which is a godsend for beginners unless your a cricket pro! I suggest selecting a 10oz through bag.

You make it sound so easy Rachel. I have just turned 70 and pretty fit and would love to do some basic climbing. I own a small woodland so climbing would be very helpful.

I would not have a clue what equipment I would need or how to rig the lines. Keep thinking about going on a course but can't justify the cost.

Have a look on bananafinger.co.uk

I spent around £100-120 got a great adjustable full body harness and helmet. Edlerid i think they were.

As for climbing. I just set a small pulley like off the hitch climber at the top run the rope through attach to one of my boys. Tail end is tun through a fig 8 clipped on to a different tree post or myself and off they go.

If climbing with one, one line for each. Then attach son to myself.

The youngest has a mini 3-1pulley set up so he can pull him self up when he feels like it lol. Then its done to dad 👍

Had our current youngest in a tree more about 18 months. Went 15-20ft high and just chilled on a branch having a brew / milk bot

The spliced eye is to put a carabiner through and attach it to your harness. I'd do a video demo but I'm no techno wizard, also it's a practical thing so you need to be able to try it and ask questions really. I'd be happy to give a free day and show anyone who wanted to know how to tree climb. We'd have to take turns on my kit tho. Unfortunately I'm in northumberland which is a stones through from nowhere. If your passing this part of the country I am more than happy to teach you all the basic climbing techniques!