Hernia

Starscream

Mate had the same thing. Tried to go back to work after 3 weeks but in our job the movements we make are not always predicable. Its tough as he felt great on the ground and couldn't wait to climb. Now wishes he had listened to the docs. He had to take a futher 4 weeks off. Yes you know your own body and how it feels but you don't always know the inside!

Tree LC

Horsham Tree Care

Had the op 18 months ago. Went in for the op at 11am woke up at midday and on the way home after having a sandwich and cuppa by 12.30

First week was painful but after that wasn't to bad. I got told 6 weeks off but took 4. After 2 weeks I wasn't to bad and prob could've gone back but waited a further 2 to play safe.

After about 6 months it got painful again and turns out they've cut through my nerve endings and will have the pain now forever more. Since then they've told me its a 1 in 8 chance of that happening but never told me that in the op build up.

They happily told me 1 in 200 can end up infertile or 1 in every 200,000 can reject the mesh but not the most common thing!!

That said I never gave it a thought not to have the op. If its happened it wont repair itself and will only get worse not having the op. I was just unlucky and altho the pains there because its constant you almost forget its there. I did have a choice off tablets but they where also used for depression!! Hell the prescription went in the bin..

Yeah I had one in 2006. In and out in 3 hours. Was great. I was half desk based at that point so wasn't a huge issue for me. 2 weeks is realistic. The only issue I have is that if I get an itchy thigh, I itch it and it feels numb and I can't get rid of the itch, which is hard to describe! All good though, no recurrence.

There is another inguinal hernia thread on here somewhere. Had the op (non keyhole - wasn't advised at the time i.e seen as inferior risky procedure), mesh job, very painful the next day but got better quickly and did take the 6 weeks. Doing too much too early only worsens it imo. Limit your abdominal pressure thereafter was advised. Went private, not NHS, superb job, no issues at all. Think I couldn't drive for 4 weeks or when you were able to emergency brake.

Waited a year for the op hence why went private. Was in a sedentary job at the time - I seriously think that allowed the fibroblast tissue to get into the mesh and get strong; physical job would have done it no good at the time. Returned to timber cutting a good 2+ years later.

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this, I have an appointment to see a consultant in a couple of weeks about my hernia. GP looked at it and referred me. I put it off years ago as I was treated for bladder cancer at the same time as the op was due and couldn't face it but now it is getting awkward and looks like a duck egg above my tackle. I'm retired so recovery time and sterility is not a problem but I do like to keep active and mobile so it's good to read about other people's results.

I haven't had mine done. I turned down the op as work was/is pretty full on now. It's only small and only surfaces if I cough or strain a poo!! Wife's in labour as we speak so it'll have to wait as there's another mouth to feed!!

She thinks I'm doing quotes but little does she know I'm on Arbtalk:lol: