makita 4300 (help)

harvey b davison

Hi turtle, the fuel was at least 2 months old, i mix a gallon at a time, but sometimes it takes a couple of months for me to use it, as i dont use my saws every day. Incidently ive ran my new 9010 on the same fuel with no problems. Ive just got some fresh fuel which im going to mix and try.

cheers.

Thanks Harvey, seems strange. Maybe it's just the accumulative 'gumming up' of the carb over time. Might be worth trying a bit of RedEx in the next tank of fresh. Give the carb a good flush through.

I always use a shot of RedEx in the first tsnk of the season on my brushcutters and strim ers.

Got to admire your style buying the mighty 9010! I hanker after one sooo bad despite having noooo justification for owning one, it's just so 'pukka looking'.

Good point turtle, never thought about redex, but can you use it on 2 stroke gear. I have taken the saw into my local repair centre, as like i said i am no mechanic and never will be. Interestingly, i was talking to the guy there and he said it probably was a carb fault on it. But he also said that they are now putting more and more ethenol in fuel and its causing loads of problems with the settings/tuning on saws and other 2 stroke machines in general.

Yes the 9010 is a beast i got by accident. I wanted the 7900 but for an extra £30 quid or so i thought sod it and got it. Glad i did now. Hated it at first with a solid nose bar and multicut chain. Swapped the bar and chain over and its a completely different saw.

Good point turtle, never thought about redex, but can you use it on 2 stroke gear. I have taken the saw into my local repair centre, as like i said i am no mechanic and never will be. Interestingly, i was talking to the guy there and he said it probably was a carb fault on it. But he also said that they are now putting more and more ethenol in fuel and its causing loads of problems with the settings/tuning on saws and other 2 stroke machines in general.

Yes the 9010 is a beast i got by accident. I wanted the 7900 but for an extra £30 quid or so i thought sod it and got it. Glad i did now. Hated it at first with a solid nose bar and multicut chain. Swapped the bar and chain over and its a completely different saw.

Never had a problem with it in 2 strokes, started using the stuff in my 50cc and 125cc bikes as a teenager, when it was considered to be like liquid nitrous oxide amongst my brethren. 99% placebo I'm sure. :sneaky2:

Seems to be fine in my garden tools whether 2 stroke or 4 mix, so no bad experiences, only good. I use it at the beginning of the season as I'm lazy and don't drain tanks, so the old fuel/oil mix looks a bit jaded. I top up with 'fresh' and a dash of RedEx. Boom, off she goes without complaint.

Out of interest, what bar and chain did you end up putting on Da Beast?

:001_tongue:

Redex does work to free up stuck rings and release carbon but it does nothing for fuel preservation. I used to like it when you put a shot into the car via the plug hole and it filled the street with white smoke for 5 minutes. My friend round at the bike shop got one in that had been stood for ages and wouldn't start so he drained the float bowl. It was green and smelt like gloss paint.

Redex does work to free up stuck rings and release carbon but it does nothing for fuel preservation. I used to like it when you put a shot into the car via the plug hole and it filled the street with white smoke for 5 minutes. My friend round at the bike shop got one in that had been stood for ages and wouldn't start so he drained the float bowl. It was green and smelt like gloss paint.

That smell is usually the fuel breaking down the fuel line! It is foul:thumbdown:

Out of interest, what bar and chain did you end up putting on Da Beast?

:001_tongue:

I put a 28" oregon bar and full chisel chain (oregon lpx) on her. I got a couple of these chainsat the same time as the bar and i think they are really good. Although when they need replacing i'm going to try stihl chain, as this is what i'm now putting on the rest of my saws with really good results.:thumbup:

017.jpg.e53dd0e1d4d5d4f0c203400ea9d21471.jpg