Taking on couple subbies

Wood wasp

Hello, I'm on scrounge for advice. I'm planning to take on couple of bodies for few days a week, one has chainsaw tickets which have lapsed, one is young guy just starting and has couple saw tickets. I'm happy to put them through tickets as things progress but want to make sure I cover everything else initially. So far I've ..

- asked for quote to add employers liability to my insurance

- contacted Accountax re self employed contracts

For my own peace of mind I'll need to get on top of RAMS and also get books to record training. Is there anything else I need to be doing?

Thanks in advance

Hello, I'm on scrounge for advice. I'm planning to take on couple of bodies for few days a week, one has chainsaw tickets which have lapsed, one is young guy just starting and has couple saw tickets. I'm happy to put them through tickets as things progress but want to make sure I cover everything else initially. So far I've ..

- asked for quote to add employers liability to my insurance

- contacted Accountax re self employed contracts

For my own peace of mind I'll need to get on top of RAMS and also get books to record training. Is there anything else I need to be doing?

Thanks in advance

If you are paying to put them through there tickets personally I would write up an agreement with them that if they leave you inside say 2 years they need to repay say 60% of the training costs. To many of these lads are geting there tickets paid for by good employers who do the best for them such as tickets,ppe etc then months later decide to go somewhere else or have a go themselves. Just me as to what I would do. At least you don't loose out to much if they jump ship.

If your planning on providing training, have taken on employers liabilty insurance and are reveiwing RAMS, thise sound very much like the actions of an employer. If your going to Accountax for contract guidance you'd probably be wiser getting the lads to fund their own training and compile their own RAMS.

Ok good points. They'll be labour only subcontractors, I'm going to see if can get assistance with training costs.

Re Rams etc I'm only going by guidance on HSE website plus suggestions from insurance people (ABI guidelines)

When I say his tickets have lapsed he can't remember which ones he has and who he did them with, so that doesn't really help me if there's an accident and HSE come investigating.

I thought of another thing I should do - induction. The whole lot of paperwork is total pain in the arse but I'd rather spend some time getting it done now and then at least I'll have some peace of mind

Assitance with training may well be available to the lads themselves without you being involved- how many of your customers/clients help you with training?

RAMS need to be in place but the lads should do these themselves if you want them to be self employed. You can help them with them and/or reveiw what they have done to make sure all reasonably forseeable risks are mitigated, but the lads should do them- your customers dont do them for you?

what do you mean his tickets have lapsed, they are a qualification, they cant lapse, when will folk realise this and stop pandering to the self financing idiots

I thought that the FC had recently brought in the rule, that if you are working on their land. You have to have had either:

• training with assessment

• refresher training within the last five years.

Does the OP intend working on FC land?