Rope guide/saver

DrewB

Drew that looks a lot great mate.I am waiting to hear a price.

A mate of mine Scott Sharpe was showing me his new retrieval redirect made with two revolvers and two webbing runners ( the top runner slightly longer so the revolvers sit even) which was pretty cool. BUT he said do u notice anything about the spliced eye?

He had spliced it with the core still in it.

mate as soon as weve ironed a price out ill let ya know-shouldnt be too much though. is the spliced eye there to stop the redi rotating around the branch when its in use? is it a 16strand rope spliced ala double braid? and how did scott go with using the hollow braid as a hitch?(running the rope through the hollow)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry atree no pics as yet Scott is recently back to Tas and not fully internetted yet.

Its basicly the same as Drews unit except instead of the cocoon you have a 2 revolvers on web runners( i think he said he got the idea from Bedes).I am pretty sure its 16 strand and how hes spliced the core with it I dont know cept He was pretty stoked about it.

That does look good Drew, still i am curious is it a vast improvement over a simple set-up like this?

I like it because its simple and tidy, all the parts are cheap as possible to replace (especially the pulley compared to a cocoon)

And it retrieves very reliably if well placed.

59765468d6fde_workjuly08056.jpg.599ab37e3cd59b95f5661dd1e59d4c55.jpg

it will work and retrieve exactly the same marc. I just hate the ring on the rope guide and thats why ive used the soft eye, cocoons are available in NZ and the other art pulley is not. The main reason ive nade them up for NZ is that rope guides are ridiculously over priced here and i wanted something that most climbers could afford-if people cant afford my one ill show them how to make a cheaper one at home. But i do like the clean lines on my one and the lack of items to damage-i think the cocoon is just great engineering.

it will work and retrieve exactly the same marc. I just hate the ring on the rope guide and thats why ive used the soft eye, cocoons are available in NZ and the other art pulley is not. The main reason ive nade them up for NZ is that rope guides are ridiculously over priced here and i wanted something that most climbers could afford-if people cant afford my one ill show them how to make a cheaper one at home. But i do like the clean lines on my one and the lack of items to damage-i think the cocoon is just great engineering.

Spot on! how much do you want for it btw?

I think your rope guide is great Drew, and for whatever reason the cost of original ART products is shocking in NZ. I actually prefer my own home made ropeguide over an original rope guide, lighter and retrieves more reliably.

Although your right the cocoon is so shiny and sexy, i'm just jealous.

You say you've used a sling because the stiched part gives extra stiffness which helps to guide the cocoon through the eye, would some firm tubing between the cocoon and hitch work any better? You could probably find something almost the same diameter of the pulley,,,, just a thought.

Also i used to have the retrieval shackle in a splice at the end of the adjustable split tail, then found having attached to the hitch gave better pull allowing you to get a better flick or waggle to ease the pulley out. Yours probably doesn't need that tho as it'll probably pull through pretty easily anyway.

Edited by Marc

hey marc,

ive found if you loop the tail of the rg over the branch instead of just dangling down, when you pull to retrieve it lifts the pulley up through the ring/eye instead of pullin it through.on rough bark it makes more of a difference.

Ive tried using some firm tubing on the webbing but the stitching ended up just working better and also takes less time to do-all bringing the price down

and im putting those pics on a memory stick marc and ill send em to you when i get to blighty

hey marc,

ive found if you loop the tail of the rg over the branch instead of just dangling down, when you pull to retrieve it lifts the pulley up through the ring/eye instead of pullin it through.on rough bark it makes more of a difference.

I like the sound of that, i have a splice on the other end of my line going to have to put a shackle in it and try that out.