ROLO Course Content/Test Questions

monkeybusiness

Hi all

Can anyone give me an outline as to what is included/covered in the ROLO course? We are being asked to go down this route by a couple of customers and I'm concerned that it appears to be a bit of an expensive box ticking exercise offering no particular benefit other than access to some sites (or am I being cynical?).

For what it's worth, I have absolutely no qualms investing money in anything that will advance safety within my business. I have spent an absolute fortune on new and update training over the last 12 months and have an extremely highly qualified workforce (everyone as a minimum holds up to and including cs40 or whatever it is called now as well as ua2.3 along with all of the prerequisites). A good proportion of our work is utility cutting, so the health and safety side of the business has been and continues to be scrutinised regularly by our clients, none of whom ask for or appear to have any interest in ROLO, LISS, CSCS, CPCS, CITB, BALI etc.

The cost of putting 10 lads through a 1 day ROLO course is horrendous when lost work and wages are included - if it will benefit the business in a meaningful way other than financial then it is obviously a worthwhile exercise of course. I am concerned having spoken to a couple of ROLO course providers today that it isn't really going to teach us anything that we haven't been taught many times before - both tutors (who shall remain nameless) stated that in their opinion the course would be a waste of time for us in reality as it is designed as a 'catch all' to force some health and safety knowledge on those working in landscaping who may not have attended any courses previously.

I am a bit disappointed that the NPTC haven't done anything to fight their own corner here, and perhaps offer BALI and the CITB more of an insight into what their courses offer and what level of competence holders of their cards have already been assessed at.

If someone could give me an insight into what is covered on the course then perhaps I will eat my words. Maybe it isn't just another course for the sake of having a course after all!

Cheers, Dan.

I understand that, I'm just trying to get my head around the point of the course. We've all passed the computer course - does the ROLO course cover anything else not tested in the computer course? Is it worthwhile or simply a box ticking exercise?

Hi Dan, hope you're well.

Essentially its a basic(ish) level H&S awareness course so, arguably, it does serve to make the guys better informed and more "aware" across a range of H&S issues. We, the AA, deliver the course to give it more of a treework emphasis whereas originally it was very much grounds maintenance focused.

So, yes it does cover stuff not included on the touch-screen test, albeit there is some overlap.

If you have ten people looking for training, AND if you can provided a venue, hopefully we can offer a reasonable rate (speak to Tiff at Head Office 01242 522152 n tell her you've been speaking to me...that'll double it at least :biggrin:)

cheers..

Paul

Cheers Paul - I'll definitely be in touch. One of the trainers I spoke to today has offered me a course that I consider to be pretty good value and they are happy to be flexible re fitting in around working hours (which in reality makes up a massive part of the overall cost to the business). I need to make a decision as to whether to bother investing further into this side of things and spend more time dealing with construction firms and their industry wide (from my experience so far) lack of ability to plan a p**s up in a brewery tied to terrible payment terms or focus on what brings the money in at present I suppose!

As an aside I am still working on premises (this has been dragging on for more than 12 months now). There have been a couple of false starts which has been massively frustrating but I think we may be close to being sorted so I will be in touch about getting onboard with you guys soon (I hope!).

I still can't help but feel that the course is a box ticking exercise however, even if this may be perceived as a contentious viewpoint...

I seem to be going through the very same experience at the moment.

having had only one construction client wanting us to have cscs - they are also the only one to have cancelled re scheduled, cancelled, rescheduled, now want to begin works on Monday, have it complete by Wednesday, then more than likely decide they wish to deduct cis without letting me know before hand.

it was also let slip today that they hadn't discharged their planning condition of a pre-works meeting with the tree officer - which apparently is now scheduled for Thursday..... hmmm I have been wondering wether to arrange cscs tests for the guys and myself or gently let this particular customer go.

additionally they've asked for 'smas' (a ssip akin to chas and aaac apparently)

the fact that we are chas has put their mind at rest..... Unfortunately none of our large clients (particularly in construction) acknowledge AAAC or would entertain accepting this as something suitable - despite its ssip status and industry relevance to our line of work. - Arb association - get on it please

we will go down the cscs route, its likely to make things easier to get onto site into the future

The H&S awareness course and the computer test will get you the green cscs card, add the rolo and you'll get enough points to get a blue 'skilled operative' card.

Oh, the excitement, I can't wait to get mine.

Most construction sites won't let you on to quote without a cscs card. We're in the process of qualifying our team leaders with sssts, another pre-requisite to work on larger sites.

It does appear to be a competition between the providers and users of health and safety certification to see who can be flavour of the month. I dare say, in time, it'll level out. Seems that every week a new level of qualification is required. We go with it and add it to the bill.

To add to what MB said in the first post, it generally costs about £500/day to train someone. Most folk get hung up on the cost of the course. This is a bum steer. The bulk of this comes from loss of income and the wages paid during training.

On top of this, depending on who's flavour of the month, some companies don't recognise certain qualifications. Lantra telehandler has to be backed up with a cpcs qualification.

We'll get by with the green cards and gradually get everyone through their rolo. It'll spread the £10,000 it'll cost us.

I wouldn't bother with the green cards if you are CSCSing new operatives Paul - from what I can gather they only need to do either the ROLO or the green card H and S nvq course (plus the touch screen test for both). Don't bother putting them through the h and s training course if you plan to follow the ROLO path at a later date - they will be covering the same ground twice.

£500 a day for training is about right IME.

You can't get the green labourer card with just a touchscreen test pass now, you can however get a white CRO card as a Horticultural Services Engineer....

Most companies that want CSCS now know about rolo etc and will demand the correct category on your card.

Although AAAC may not have wide recognition as a SsIP you do get chas with it which is pretty universal.