Inonotus dryadeus

Hannah

as Andrew cowen pointed out to me fairly recently, unlike mushrooms which have all the cells they need to form and merely swell up and hydrate, a bracket adds cells in order to expand, so the last cells at the rim are the newest. This also explains why brackets can be "stunted" as avaliable resources may be limiting its growth, unlike the mushrooms which limit thier numbers rather than sizes due to resource limitations.

what limits a shroom in size is therfore purely hydration resource, rather than cell manafacture.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh yes, in fact thinking about it, the last outer cells would also be the last to dry out if guttation assists in the drying out of the body for efficient spore release, so the outer rim is also the last to dry out, this also helps me establish the proscess of absiccion of the fruit body, its drying!

bit like a limb in summer heat, dessication leading to alteration and seperation!

i love it!

Add in edit!

I should point out im thinking aloud, not stating facts!:laugh1:

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

Nice shots aitch.

A fair showing of newish epicormic forming around the failure site and associated decay areas.

Who owns the Tree? could be a candidate for a phased retrenchment.

Curiously, What would be your motive and objective for the retrenchment pruning over letting the tree do it naturally?

Just for the love of the job?:thumbup:

I've posted these beauties before we were hoping to save the tree as is was estimated to be 400-500 years old although it doesnt look it. Sadly with the strong winds and heavy rain we have been having the rootplate on the top side has began to lift rather considerably. I couldnt get any pictures of the root plate as it was absolutely chucking down when we got on site. I took these photos in September. The tree was reasonably healthy. It had a very small amount of die back but quite a bit of deadwood in the crown which was removed under H + S grounds. But the tree has now been condemned. I had suggested about cable bracing to near by trees but apparently it would cost about 4 times as much to have it braced. I am hoping the big boss will take on my other option which is have it mono'd or pollarded

030.jpg.4a12a46b84a0aed80df39fd6beb6d64b.jpg

029.jpg.0a874af47ad0dedba1be9d7dfb8e39d3.jpg

015.jpg.5d4bef5485e7fe0c84829d3399ae1a48.jpg

013.jpg.aed5a6acea3951e2769b41fe69007eb3.jpg

012.jpg.e9fd9bfe797b9ab11c99ef9be99dbd9c.jpg

011.jpg.fb520ec5aad59c625a9bbc6762fddd43.jpg

Curiously, What would be your motive and objective for the retrenchment pruning over letting the tree do it naturally?

Just for the love of the job?:thumbup:

Motive would be to aid the tree, by helping to mitigate the risk of another massive failure, which would result in huge portion of the canopy being lost. Specifically refering to that huge lower lateral.

Encouraging that branch to retrench by stimulating epicormic as a result of end weight reduction, would be a good thing from my perspective.

Do people really do tree work for the "love of the job", surely not :biggrin:

Hi All,

On the I. dryadeus thread, one of Monkey-Ds photos show a definite stalk and I,ve always understood there is a sessile attachment, also some mention of dryadeus at height, could this be I. dryophilus? But all this is probably due to the infinite fungal variations and my lack of knowledge,

Cheers.

Hi All,

On the I. dryadeus thread, one of Monkey-Ds photos show a definite stalk and I,ve always understood there is a sessile attachment, also some mention of dryadeus at height, could this be I. dryophilus? But all this is probably due to the infinite fungal variations and my lack of knowledge,

Cheers.

No Uk records of I dryophilus as far as I can make out Al.

May be a North American species ? :confused1:

Species list - British Fungi