FAO Eddy_T

wisecobandit

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bar made August 1965, early muffler, late starter (early 70's) and crankcase, carb details supplied fit with late 60's model. Side casing is mid-point version (late 60's). Lack of green tag means casing is post 1967 (super casing), whilst no s/n means it wasn't a final model. There should also be a date stamp on muffler

Yeah I saw the dated bar. Will check the muffler over tonight when I get home from work. S model crankcases sound good to me,is the 090 top end a straight bolt on or slight work required? I will have a better look over it tonight and maybe give it a good clean up. The first thing I want to do is find another starter casing and cup.

Starter casing is easy to acquire, when you say cup, do you mean the starter ring, or actual cup? Ring is £10, cup will require a new flywheel, as they changed them on the 070/090.

As for work required for mounting an 070/090 cylinder, the contra has four threaded pins which would need threading to the bottom to mount the newer cylinders. It's a pita!

The cup looks a bit worn but maybe at quick play with the pawls could be the answer. It doesn't grab on a slow pull but does on a quicker pull.

You mean the 4 threaded studs which hold the cylinder down? They need taking out and tapping deeper? or am I barking up the wrong tree... That seems to simple for being a pita as you describe so assuming ive understood you wrong.

The cup looks a bit worn but maybe at quick play with the pawls could be the answer. It doesn't grab on a slow pull but does on a quicker pull.

You mean the 4 threaded studs which hold the cylinder down? They need taking out and tapping deeper? or am I barking up the wrong tree... That seems to simple for being a pita as you describe so assuming ive understood you wrong.

Turn the pawls around or file a square edge on them. I did this on my 050 which has a worn cup and it worked a treat

Turn the pawls around or file a square edge on them. I did this on my 050 which has a worn cup and it worked a treat

The starter rings are still available for the Fairbanks starter on the 1106 saws, and are only £10 each. The pawls may need re-pointing, but what you have to remember is, old Andreas made these things to withstand anything, these old bars are made out of the same steel as what high quality machine tools are made of! The saws themselves can be fixed with tools found in most workshops - flat-head screwdrivers, 10mm spanners and circlip pliers. Oh and profanities, lots of profanities!

I dare you to replace the oil pump diaphragm!

Ah cool. 1 of the studs came out with the nut anyway taking the pot off. If I have any difficulty removing the studs I will just put a nut on and dab it with the mig and unscrew it.

Like you say eddy the cup looked worn but still has the for want of a better word the serrations altho worn. I did look at the pawls and they don't look in to bad a shape tho it wont hurt to give them a quick gentle tickle with a file which may help.

Received the contra info Eddy thanks. Got it all cleaned up, pots off, has the 3 piece rebuildable big end, got the flywheel off and points where all in good nick etc.

Got a gasket set. crank seals and new fuel line on order.

I will probably bolt it back together and check for spark etc and restrip it to replace gaskets and seals but for now its a case of making sure that all screws etc can be undone and not seized up or heads mullered etc.

Oilpumps a bit of a nightmare then?