S/H value of Stihl MS181?

Duncan R

I was going off what I could find on the net. But I stand corrected - if has 1.5mm stamped on the bar, then 1.5mm it is.

Remove chain and count drive links is the most reliable way of finding out what you need. Thought I doubt it'll be 64.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You haven't worn your original chain out already have you Dunc? :laugh1:

:biggrin:.......not yet TW, I'm only on on my third tank of fuel, just like to have a spare in the cupboard. Suprising how different chain types differ..the Makita sort of pummels it's way through wood whereas the little 181's micro chain had a touch more finesse, dare I say. Can certainly feel this one has a bit of a temper so taking a little more care....anything bigger/faster would of been overkill for my needs for sure, and I'd probably been scared of it :laugh1:

I was going off what I could find on the net. But I stand corrected - if has 1.5mm stamped on the bar, then 1.5mm it is.

Remove chain and count drive links is the most reliable way of finding out what you need. Thought I doubt it'll be 64.

It appears to be sold with either/or reference the chains pitch/gauge, depending where it's bought from...the manufacturers web site(s) are a bit ambiguous on this. I e mailed a seller of chains in the UK who assures me that chain reference is correct but I will count the DL before ordering up.

For anyone that's interested I just paid £200 for a brand new 181 from the local dealership Im not the best at maths but by my reckoning £40 of that was vat making the price of the saw £160 I struggle to see why anyone would pay close to that for a second hand saw. My thinking may be different next year when I stick it on ebay

Hi Mike,

It's all relative I think, if someone offered you a very lightly used £1000 saw for £600 you may well take it, bear in mind too that most aren't in a position to claim back tax...we are talking a 'home user' saw here after all.

When/if you decide to sell yours, I'm sure you'll look on e bay for reference and decide not to sell it for £60-70 unless it's clapped out knackered :001_smile:

Put it this way.........use yours for 20-30 hours, look after it, keep it clean, put quality fuel/oil through it and store it well then decide how much it's worth to someone wanting a saw sold (generally) for around the £220 mark while MS181's regularly fetch £150 and above on the dreaded auction site.........in sh"*e condition to boot, there really are some god awful looking saws on there that always seem to sell.

For anyone that's interested I just paid £200 for a brand new 181 from the local dealership Im not the best at maths but by my reckoning £40 of that was vat making the price of the saw £160 I struggle to see why anyone would pay close to that for a second hand saw. My thinking may be different next year when I stick it on ebay

Probably a lot of buyers aren't VAT registered, so the ex-VAT price wouldn't be relevant for them.

Hi Mike,

It's all relative I think, if someone offered you a very lightly used £1000 saw for £600 you may well take it, bear in mind too that most aren't in a position to claim back tax...we are talking a 'home user' saw here after all.

When/if you decide to sell yours, I'm sure you'll look on e bay for reference and decide not to sell it for £60-70 unless it's clapped out knackered :001_smile:

Put it this way.........use yours for 20-30 hours, look after it, keep it clean, put quality fuel/oil through it and store it well then decide how much it's worth to someone wanting a saw sold (generally) for around the £220 mark while MS181's regularly fetch £150 and above on the dreaded auction site.........in sh"*e condition to boot, there really are some god awful looking saws on there that always seem to sell.

thats a good point provideing my maths isnt too far out (i dont have enough fingers to work it out fully) the percentages are the same my point is tho that i have seen these saws going for more second hand than they can be picked up for new surely anyone on ebay would have a look on google just to see the new price of it or is that just the sensible side of the population?

personly for £30 or £40 more i would rather have a saw with 12 months guarantee but for £100 less than new price i would take the risk