S/H value of Stihl MS181?

Duncan R

I've never met a couple who had the same definition of crap!

Me neither........my Mrs saves carrier bags like her life depended on it, saves every re-sealable container known to man, cannot throw out pens even if obviously out of ink, we have a collection of odd plates dating back many years, 'that (4 for 50 pence) lighter might work again'..the list goes on and she'll have the neck to moan when a red 'Makita' box turns up tomorrow and I wander around the house trying to find a home for 'more crap' :001_smile:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and she'll have the neck to moan when a red 'Makita' box turns up tomorrow

Well considering that it's there to help warm her ass as much as yours I think it'd be in order this particular time to suggest that she winds it in a bit!

Keep it, you'll regret selling it.

If you bought it new, it'll always be new to you. Even you drain the petrol and set it up on a shelf for now some day there'll be a job for it and you'll have it there. Even you get a ton for it selling it, in a few weeks the money will be gobbled up by modern life whereas the other way you'll always have a spare saw sitting, a saw that you know and can depend on.

Give it some thought at least. :001_smile:

Hi,

Yes, that is what I would do, your other saw may be in for service & you need a backup.

N

Ok, several points:

I totally agree with the others who have suggested keeping the little 'un as a reservist saw.

Personally I never part with anything 'tooly' as you never know...

Plus if you ever stumble across oportunites to take wood (legally of course) on your travels, it might be worth sticking it in the boot of the car as a 'travel saw' rather like those awful 12v shavers that were the rage in the 80's! :sneaky2:

It's true that the saw is still a new machine in your eyes, the bargain hunting public won't treat it with such doting affection. :laugh1:

As for your wife, she will see a nice white cardboard box with some bailing straps round it, and when she asked what's inside you can smugly reply "the key to a warm house and marital bliss my dear, now go and throw away some empty biros and chuck out some of them bloody carriers bags!" :001_tt2:

Once you're in the Makita fold, the benefit is, anything you buy in future can be passed off for the same machine you bought initially. Therefore you can have a garage full of saws (including an nice DCS9010) :thumbup1: which to the casual observer are just 'your chainsaw'. Think about the possibilities (provided they are never seen in the same room together!)

:thumbup: go for it!

On a serious note and only until our dodgy garage/shed has been rebuilt, (the main reason for my current lack of storage space)......what would the consensus be to partitioning off a shelf in the pantry where the carrier bags and containers are usually kept, say about boxed chainsaw size? surely the smell of petrol wouldn't linger too badly :laugh1:

Saw arrived....assembled it, put in fuel and oil and it fired up within a few pulls....first impression is one of quite a step in power and heft, the 18" bar and heavier guage chain certainly makes it feel more of a saw compared to the little Stihl, seems really well made and nice in the hand.....picks up on the throttle very nicely too. Cutting some of the larger sections of Ash was impressive, no bogging down as before so I think the hike in power is plenty for now...it sort of blitzed it by comparison.

ill give you 70 for it no interested in the powersharp bar so you could make a few quid more sticking that on ebay

:001_tongue: Funnily enough, I have someone interested in the saw only at £135, there is one on e bay at the minute for £125 and it looks a right old dog of a mess, another was up to £109 with a while to run...mine is nigh on mint in comparison. If it sells I'll be very happy knowing someone has got a decent saw with very few hours on it in as new condition while significantly cheaper than new. If it sells it sells, if not i'll hang on to it. Hopefully I can get the powersharp kit returned.

Glad you like it!

Wait till you've put a couple of tanks through it, it will free up a bit and be even more pokey.

Feels quite pokey as is, revs/picks up very well for a new saw...such a (relatively) small increase in cc's/bhp but the hike in torque is tangible :thumbup1: