Best Stickers for stacking

stevenf

Larch on Larch wouldn't hurt. If the boards are going up as cladding then you won't have any issues with any minor sticker marks- they would soon weather down.

3/4in thick sticks work well for most timbers, you can go thicker if you want to dry softwoods faster or down to 1/2in if you have Oak in a place where you think it may dry too fast- lots of wind or exposure in a dry spot.

As your cladding is probably quite flexible but is going to be fixed surface, you can use a wider sticker spacing than if you were trying to dry boards for joinery. For thin boards most folk would use around 16in spacing between sticks (anyone?), but your cladding wouldn't hurt at somewhere between 2 and 3ft spacing. Make sure the ends are well supported and that there is a bearer directly under each set of stickers.

Pop or any bland white wood without resin is great, sticks will air dry really quickly, so a week or two stacked in a 'log cabin' style (plenty of air flow around them) and they are ready to go. Timbers like Thuja or Giant Redwood used as sticks can bleed a bit of red colour into whitewoods.

If you only need to store them for a month or so in the current cold weather, then I think your Larch wouldn't come to harm if it was piled up without sticks.

Hope some of that helps. W

I have actually moved away from timber and now use plastic conduit, totally dry, now staining , and every bit is the same size, mind you i do have a source for lots of free bits, the other source I had was for pallet boards, straight from the manufacturer, but they make good kindling now

I have actually moved away from timber and now use plastic conduit, totally dry, now staining , and every bit is the same size, mind you i do have a source for lots of free bits, the other source I had was for pallet boards, straight from the manufacturer, but they make good kindling now

That's fair enough, if you've got them, then use them, I bet rectangular plastic conduit is great!

It's really easy to get hung up about 'the perfect sticker', but it probably makes more difference to timber value,board flatness and quality to spend time and materials/money on getting the bearers built up sturdily and really nicely in line with each other.

I've seen too many stacks with only 2 stickers per board that are horrible saggy messes fit mainly for firewood. A bit of a waste of time and effort for everyone involved.

I borrowed some samples of machined posh stickers recently, I'll get them together for a photo when my naughty Land Rover gets back from it's holiday with the spanner man.

I was hoping to stack my cladding on 3 level pallets and then stack and sticker up from there. Would this work?

As then I can strap them down and move them to where I wanted...

Plastic conduits sound good.

I take it that's the oval shape? As the round kind may all roll off... Or are you cutting modifying them?

Great advice, thanks