Large Cedar Dilemma

TIMON

We've just booked in a dismantle/removal of a large mature cedar. Tree is about 150 yrs old and in great shape. There are no preservation orders on it, the new owner of the property simply wants it gone.

Because of our charitable status and the work we do the customer is keen for us to do the work and he is paying a (very) good price for the work.

We are not short of work and business is good. I really don't like the idea of removing a beautiful healthy tree. If we don't take the job then another firm will do the work so the tree is coming down one way or another.

What would you do?

Hi Ti, hope you're well.

Knowing you will have taken every opportunity to 'extol the virtues' of such a lovely tree...at the end of the day the customer gets what the customer wants.

You need to make a business decision which often conflicts with idealisms but a contractor cannot survive without contracting.

Difficult I know but sounds like you've done your best.

Good luck..

Paul

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ti, hope you're well.

Knowing you will have taken every opportunity to 'extol the virtues' of such a lovely tree...at the end of the day the customer gets what the customer wants.

You need to make a business decision which often conflicts with idealisms but a contractor cannot survive without contracting.

Difficult I know but sounds like you've done your best.

Good luck..

Paul

Thanks for this Paul. Appreciate your comments.

On another note we're doing our CS41 in a couple of weeks so we're getting nearer to asking for an assessment.

Thanks mate

Timon

This might be a "hospital pass" Paul, but if I remember correctly from the Cornwallian workshop, you did say that AAAc status was dependent upon (old speak) CS41 where ever any rigging was involved - and that makes absolute sense. So if that's AA's position, it might be assumed that HSE would take a similar stance (appropriate training for the task) if things went wrong and ended up in an incident / accident / investigation.

So CS39 would be the relevant training up to the stage of 'free dropping' limbs, but put a rope on the limb and you should have a 41 trained bod on task.

I wonder how many folks are rigging without the 41 ticket?

Hi Kevin, exactly.

Sometime ago I sat down with HSE and the list of CS units ("old money" acknowledged) and my intention was to select the minimum necessary as many are mainly 'organisational specific' (CS48 powered pole pruners - EA) and others duplicated to some degree (CS47 chainsaw in a MEWP where CS39 is held).

Hence when we got to CS41 "aerial tree rigging" we both agreed it was to be deemed an essential given the relative complexity of rigging and associated the skills, knowledge and experience required.

Interestingly, I have had a couple of businesses present for assessment without the CS41, which came to light when reviewing training and quals etc., BUT they were competent in the true sense of the word. Regardless, their outcome was PENDING until CS4 qual was attained...which was a formality.

People also need to know that the list of chainsaw quals is listed in the revised PUWER ACOP, which they weren't previously, and hence any sharp-eyed H&S Bod may start questioning what quals you hold.

Thanks for the question Kevin n I look forward to seeing you very soon :biggrin:

Have agood weekend..

Paul

Thanks for this Paul. Appreciate your comments.

On another note we're doing our CS41 in a couple of weeks so we're getting nearer to asking for an assessment.

Thanks mate

Timon

Timon, my comments are made as manager of the ArbAC Scheme and, I hope, are pragmatic.

Look forward to receiving your application soon :biggrin:

Best..n have good weekend..

Paul

• 4 weeks later...